Muzzle Loading Shotgun Questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol.I meant hard to deciffer. Some times guns of this period have double proof marks. They where made often in townships. One place made locks another barrels another stocks then assembled at arsenal and proofed. Then reproofed and marked in next country after export. Also I believe Henry richards was a trade name used in both London and Belgium. Wich can make it even more confusing. I had mine checked by an nra appraiser to find out for sure. That stock just screams English to me. Wouldn't be first tome I've been wrong in my life though. Lmao. Very nice Shotgun. Dixie gun works can probably help u with nipples. Track might have something. Believe it r not mine took tc nipples. Went right in it.

What I've found with nipples is that it is possible to tighten one down to the point it is flush with the bolster and feels secure but, in fact, threads may be cross-threaded or corroded to the point that only a sliver of metal is holding it in place. Doesn't have to be an old gun. A Hopkins & Allen underhammer rifle let one loose on me firing off a bench with the muzzle supported and my left arm out of the way. Just sayin' ..stuff happens.

That is a beautiful shotgun. Especially for its age. I'd definitely plug those nipples with a toothpick and pour a little Liquid Wrench down each barrel and let sit overnight. that really bad nipple on the right I would drill from the vent hole thru the other side and use a nail punch or similar to try and twist it out - slowly.

Latest posts

Back