Muzzleloader Explodes on Firing Range

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BH209 is 80% smokeless powder, based on the MSD sheet.

If it was loaded with a maximum load of BH209 and a projectile, and then loaded again with the same thing, it could have produced a catastrophic pressure.

Most of the articles about muzzleloader kabooms are lacking details.

Somewhere i have a compilation of muzzleloader kabooms caused by loading smokeless powder. A young man in TN lost his life after shooting a muzzleloader loaded with powder from 20 gauge shotgun shells.

Last edited:
Witness marks….
Going on….
My ramrod… —TODAY!
I may be an idiot, (OK, I admit it, I AM-)
..but I’m not such an idiot to ignore the sound advice on this board that may very well prevent me from blowing up my gun in my face!
Too easy.

And, of course, adding mass inside the barrel (possibly up to 500 grains by weight) will increase pressures behind it immensely. That’s a lot of inertia!

And good on CVA for putting out this video, among others, encouraging safe practices.

Witness marks….
Going on….
My ramrod… —TODAY!
I may be an idiot, (OK, I admit it, I AM-)
..but I’m not such an idiot to ignore the sound advice on this board that may very well prevent me from blowing up my gun in my face!
Too easy.

And, of course, adding mass inside the barrel (possibly up to 500 grains by weight) will increase pressures behind it immensely. That’s a lot of inertia!

And good on CVA for putting out this video, among others, encouraging safe practices.

Good on you, safety is paramount!

Side note, not to take away from the seriousness but it killed me when they blew up the knight.....bet CVA loved that

Chuck Hawkes website indicates the concept of proofing barrels in Spain / Europe is not the same as it is in USA manufacturing.

The author of that trash is Randy Wakeman. Randy Wakeman is in the pockets of a Tulsa personal injury lawyer, an ambulance chaser. Wakeman would sooner climb tree and lie than stand on the ground and tell the truth. Wakeman has been barred from most muzzleloader websites.

Yep, many juries and judges take pity on people who loaded their muzzleloader with large volume charges of smokeless powder and became maimed as a result of their ignorance. Those pictures of empty eye sockets, missing fingers and maimed hands play well with juries.

I've been teaching hunters Ed. for 30 years, Muzzleloding is what I teach, #1 rule on the bench is 1 powder charge, 1 sabot and bullet, and 1 primer, and #2 the witness mark, it's to easy to be talking and explain thing and forget where you were in the loading process. Same applies on the range with my grandsons or whoever I'm with.

It is the weight of the 2nd bullet and powder charge on top of the first that creates the issue.
Sorry, not buying it. People have overloaded these guns on purpose with double and triple loads of 4f blackpowder and the gun just shoots. Doesn’t even bulge the barrel. I don’t know how a double load of Triple 7 would behave but I know how a smokeless load behaves in a rifle not built for it. Kablooey…

Found this which was associated with original write up of the accident:

Timothy
19 November, 2022

This person should be held liable for all medical expenses, and sued in civil court. It doesn't matter if it was an accident. With freedom comes responsibility.

Goes to show you what your fellow shooters are capable of, be wary of who gathers around you.

Have a feeling the wrong type of powder, not black powder, was the cause of the explosion.
This X2. I’ve been shooting these guns with blackpowder, Pyrodex and Triple 7 for over 60 years and I've never heard of a catastrophic failure that didn’t involve smokeless powders. Maybe this is the time but color me dubious.

Last edited:
Somehow I feel that the rifle was an inline, I doubt a 1" octagon barrel would explode.

Many muzzle loaders are "proofed" with double and triple loads, and the barrels don't burst. I wonder if maybe someone used "smokeless powder instead of black powder to load the gun.
That's the first thing I thought of. Or maybe they didn't get the ball or projectile rammed down on the powder charge.

I have been scratching my head trying to remember what I read about 50 years ago. It was Sam Fadala testing a barrel and tried to "blow it up". If I remember all the gases exited the nipple hole and the barrel was fine. Please set me straight if this old mind is off base on this one. I still have the book, just can't remember where it is......too much ML stuff!

I have been scratching my head trying to remember what I read about 50 years ago. It was Sam Fadala testing a barrel and tried to "blow it up". If I remember all the gases exited the nipple hole and the barrel was fine. Please set me straight if this old mind is off base on this one. I still have the book, just can't remember where it is......too much ML stuff!
That probably would happen with a sidelock or a plunger in-line but it’s not going to happen with a closed breech, like break open guns or bolts or an Omega type action.

There is the saga of the blown up Savage smokeless powder muzzleloaders. Owners of those guns used powders not recommended by Savage, used duplex loads and accidently double loaded their rifles.

Toby Bridges had a Savage smokeless rifle blow up.

I ran into a guy who shot his ramrod down range with a max load of BH209. He said it knocked him off the bench and cracked his stock. Also said it shortened his ramrod by about 4 inches. He said he would never do that again. Barrel was “fine” according to the owner but messed up his should and the stock.

I ran into a guy who shot his ramrod down range with a max load of BH209. He said it knocked him off the bench and cracked his stock. Also said it shortened his ramrod by about 4 inches. He said he would never do that again. Barrel was “fine” according to the owner but messed up his should and the stock.
I would look really close for a bulge or loose spot in there before shooting that one again.

Sorry, not buying it. People have overloaded these guns on purpose with double and triple loads of 4f blackpowder and the gun just shoots. Doesn’t even bulge the barrel. I don’t know how a double load of Triple 7 would behave but I know how a smokeless load behaves in a rifle not built for it. Kablooey…
Thats simple
3 pellets plus a bullet
then
3 pellets plus a bullet

Pretty much any ML barrel on the market will burst with that load including a RUML. I think i can dig up a video of it happening if you like. Ive seen a T/C burst too using APP powder. Not sure if it was their pellets or loose powder.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back