muzzleloader sight in distance

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davejohnson3

Reaction score
bought a cva wolf, put a 3-9x40 scope on it, was wondering what distance would be best to sight it in for? i was thinking 50 but maybe 75 or 100 would be better? shooting 100 grains powder and a 240 grain sabot

davejohnson3 said:
bought a cva wolf, put a 3-9x40 scope on it, was wondering what distance would be best to sight it in for? i was thinking 50 but maybe 75 or 100 would be better? shooting 100 grains powder and a 240 grain sabot

I think that would really depend on the ranges that you might be shooting the most.

I use a 'Point Blank Range' setup for myself using 3" as my set point. I do want to have the option to shoot 200 yards... So with the load and projectile I am shooting... I will never be lower or higher than 3" from 0 yards to 178 yards...

I look at where I hunt and say to myself.. what is going to be the average shots and probably the furthest shot I might have to make. I then sight in so that at the average distance and furthest away, I do not have to make a scope/sight adjustment. For instance, where I hunt 35 yards is more then average and 50 is just an insane long distance. So I sight in at 35 yards, knowing that at 50 yards, if I HAD to take a shot, I can aim dead on.

On my field rifle, my long shot is 100 yards, my average is a little over 50 yards. So I sight those rifles in at 70 yards and then I do not have to make any adjustment.

[/quote]I use a 'Point Blank Range' setup for myself using 3" as my set point. I do want to have the option to shoot 200 yards... So with the load and projectile I am shooting... I will never be lower or higher than 3" from 0 yards to 178 yards...[/quote]

Would you explain this a little more...sounds good. At what yardage do you start with, and finish with, to get 3" high/low?

I use a 'Point Blank Range' setup for myself using 3" as my set point. I do want to have the option to shoot 200 yards... So with the load and projectile I am shooting... I will never be lower or higher than 3" from 0 yards to 178 yards...[/quote]

Would you explain this a little more...sounds good. At what yardage do you start with, and finish with, to get 3" high/low?[/quote]

This is an example using this bullet and powder charge...

250SpeerGD-1.jpg

This write up might help explain it also...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point-blank_range

Most good ballistics programs will offer the ability to compute PBR...

So, based on this example, 2" high at 50 yards would be 2.8" high at 100 and dead on at 179 yards?

Most of my shoots are 48 yds out of my ground blind, I sight in 2 " high at 50 yds. if I need to shoot further I know my .45 will still reach out and drop them.

Sight In

I sight in all my guns, centerfire as well as ML, for 2" high at 100 yards. Where I hunt my shot distances are such that I can aim without any compensation for distance. Hope this helps.

smyrnagc said:
So, based on this example, 2" high at 50 yards would be 2.8" high at 100 and dead on at 179 yards?

Optimum Zero... which would be dead on is 149 yards.

Max Zero would be 179 yards but it would be 3" down which I have set a my PBR...

At 110-115 yards I would be right at 3" high which is also withing my 3 PBR..

All of this is with that bullet and its' BC at that velocity...

Here is another one to look at...

200-40HPLehighActual.jpg

Quoting SabotLoader

"Optimum Zero... which would be dead on is 149 yards.

Max Zero would be 179 yards but it would be 3" down which I have set a my PBR...

At 110-115 yards I would be right at 3" high which is also withing my 3 PBR.."

I don't get that last sentence. It looks to me from the chart that the high point (apogee?) is reached at about 80 yards. The bullet is falling relative to line of sight from that point on.

markbl said:
Quoting SabotLoader

"Optimum Zero... which would be dead on is 149 yards.

At 110-115 yards I would be right at 3" high which is also withing my 3 PBR.."

I don't get that last sentence. It looks to me from the chart that the high point (apogee?) is reached at about 80 yards. The bullet is falling relative to line of sight from that point on.

And you are correct... @ 110-115 I am on the way back down form the high point.. my error

Back