Muzzleloader with thumb screw breech plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRS244

Reaction score
I don’t think I want to carry a breech plug tool with me in the woods. I lost the one for my TC Omega and have to get a new one, don’t want that to happen while hunting.

Any recommendations for a good inline would be appreciated.

I’m new to modern inline with breech plugs. Shot many side locks but never inline. I was thinking along the lines if something went wrong and I needed to take plug out and push the load out.

I’m new to modern inline with breech plugs. Shot many side locks but never inline. I was thinking along the lines if something went wrong and I needed to take plug out and push the load out.

If you throw a screw-type ball puller in your possibles bag, that’ll likely allow you to pull any load that needs to be taken out while in the field. If you never needed to do this with a sidelock… congratulations. You obviously have been paying close attention to the details of your loading routine! 👍

Try a few reps at the range by loading w/o powder, to get comfortable with your abilities.

I’m thinking about something along the lines of one of these:

1671244655225.jpeg
1671244705319.jpeg

There are also ramrods that have a tip that unscrews, to reveal a ball puller. Something like this:
1671244876931.jpeg

***Of course if you’re looking for an excuse for getting a new rifle… NONE of those will work. In that case, you’d better start shopping for a new rifle, where the breech plug can be removed with just your fingers! 🤪

“can be removed with just your fingers” Now your talking👍 Now to convince my wife I need a new rifle.

On a serious note, I appreciate your advice and suggestions.

I believe most of the new break action inline muzzleloaders have what you want.

CVA Optima or Accura. Traditions and whomever else may make muzzleloaders these days.

Recently purchased a CVA Optima VR2 for my son. Been to the range three times with it working up an accurate load. In doing so, I have been running a patch down the barrel (sometimes a brush) between each shot. I have never owned a ML with a finger tighten breech plug. After testing this rifle several different times I have become a big fan of that feature. In fact, if I were to buy another inline, it would have to have that feature. It makes cleaning so much easier. Also, if one decides not to shoot the ML but wants to empty it, just unscrew the breech plug, take the ramrod and push the charge and bullet out the other end. Little to no cleaning to be done.

I had a package of lubed patches that were too tight. The we're labeled 0.010-0.015" It was the first package I'd ever bought. I thought the ball was a little snug, but I managed to seat them on the powder. One day, at a range, not "the range", but a range. I was helping my kid load my other ML and I screwed up. I drove the ball (.50 round) home with no powder under it. I was hoping just a primer might send the ball out, but no luck. I tried my puller, no luck. It just kept coming out with more and more lead on it. I had a breech plug wrench on order, but it hadn't come in yet. I couldn't budge the ball. So I went home. A few days later my breech plug tool came in the mail and I used my heavy-duty ram rod to push it out to the breech end. Attached is a photo of the ball. I bought a package of 0.010" patches and they are MUCH easier to place a load with. I suspect if I ever need to pull a ball again, it will be much easier.

My breech plug wrench is in my range bag now.

Attachments

• 20221027_170408.jpg
    20221027_170408.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I had a package of lubed patches that were too tight. The we're labeled 0.010-0.015" It was the first package I'd ever bought. I thought the ball was a little snug, but I managed to seat them on the powder. One day, at a range, not "the range", but a range. I was helping my kid load my other ML and I screwed up. I drove the ball (.50 round) home with no powder under it. I was hoping just a primer might send the ball out, but no luck. I tried my puller, no luck. It just kept coming out with more and more lead on it. I had a breech plug wrench on order, but it hadn't come in yet. I couldn't budge the ball. So I went home. A few days later my breech plug tool came in the mail and I used my heavy-duty ram rod to push it out to the breech end. Attached is a photo of the ball. I bought a package of 0.010" patches and they are MUCH easier to place a load with. I suspect if I ever need to pull a ball again, it will be much easier.

My breech plug wrench is in my range bag now.
How did the different patch affect your groups and poi?

I haven't been back to the range yet. And actually I won't be able to answer that as I have only shot it a couple of times. My kid has been shooting it and zeroing the scope. I enjoyed the range time together, while I shot with my Mossberg shotgun ML barrel. They don't have a lot of shooting experience and although it's a used rifle, it's new to us. I found it on gunbroker.com and bid it up to $92. And honestly that was probably a little high considering no ram rod, no breech tool and a warped front sight. It's so old, I can't seem to buy a replacement breech plug so if this one ever fails, it's a parts kit lol. It's a Traditions Tracker 209.

If you're going to buy patches, I'd recommend getting OxYoke brand.
They are available from several online sources, including ebay.
100% cotton. Lubed or dry. More consistent as far as thickness goes.

If you throw a screw-type ball puller in your possibles bag, that’ll likely allow you to pull any load that needs to be taken out while in the field. If you never needed to do this with a sidelock… congratulations. You obviously have been paying close attention to the details of your loading routine! 👍

Try a few reps at the range by loading w/o powder, to get comfortable with your abilities.

I’m thinking about something along the lines of one of these:

View attachment 28917
View attachment 28918

There are also ramrods that have a tip that unscrews, to reveal a ball puller. Something like this:
View attachment 28920

***Of course if you’re looking for an excuse for getting a new rifle… NONE of those will work. In that case, you’d better start shopping for a new rifle, where the breech plug can be removed with just your fingers! 🤪
Just shoot it out as if you pull the bullet you won't use it again any way. All you save is the the powder maybe and a primer.

Back