Muzzleloader with thumb screw breech plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recently purchased a CVA Optima VR2 for my son. Been to the range three times with it working up an accurate load. In doing so, I have been running a patch down the barrel (sometimes a brush) between each shot. I have never owned a ML with a finger tighten breech plug. After testing this rifle several different times I have become a big fan of that feature. In fact, if I were to buy another inline, it would have to have that feature. It makes cleaning so much easier. Also, if one decides not to shoot the ML but wants to empty it, just unscrew the breech plug, take the ramrod and push the charge and bullet out the other end. Little to no cleaning to be done.
Works ok if using pellets for powder. Not so great with loose powder as when you remove the breech plug powder gets into your barrel threads and is a pain to get it all cleaned out so you can easily screw your breech plug back in. It can be done but a pain.

Works ok if using pellets for powder. Not so great with loose powder as when you remove the breech plug powder gets into your barrel threads and is a pain to get it all cleaned out so you can easily screw your breech plug back in. It can be done but a pain.

I can understand that one for sure. I've been using some of the old TC spray bottle ML solvent. Makes it easy to spray out the threads in the breech. I did that a few times but now its about gone, so unless that solvent is still available, that will be the end of that. I did purchase some of the CVA cleaning solvent. Appears to be somewhat of a jell but it worked pretty good the last time. Not as good as the old TC spray, but it cleaned okay. I just wish it was available in spray form.

I can understand that one for sure. I've been using some of the old TC spray bottle ML solvent. Makes it easy to spray out the threads in the breech. I did that a few times but now its about gone, so unless that solvent is still available, that will be the end of that. I did purchase some of the CVA cleaning solvent. Appears to be somewhat of a jell but it worked pretty good the last time. Not as good as the old TC spray, but it cleaned okay. I just wish it was available in spray form.
Available in a foaming aerosol.

Available in a foaming aerosol.

Indeed. I just did some looking into this. It appears that the foam is available as well as the liquid bottles. I can tell you one thing, TC 17 sure does a fine job on 777 powder and pellet fouling. Not sure how well it will work on black powder but I hope to find out soon.

Latest posts

Back