Muzzleloading shotgun

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc5000

Reaction score
Hello,

Although I've been shooting muzzleloading rilfes for years, I have no experience with shotguns. I wonder if regular plastic wads (for shotshell reloading) would work well.

If for some reason regular 12 gauge plastic wads don't work well in muzzleloading shotguns... Does anyone know of a good on-line source for thick felt wads? (I hope that recommending websites is OK and not against any forum rules).

I'm planning on getting a 12 gauge muzzleloading shotgun. Plastic wads are easy to find at local stores, and are inexpensive. Felt wads are impossible to find locally.

Thank you,
Marc

www.ballisticproducts.com

That should get you started. I had a 12 ga. System 1 shotgun and it was OK on squirrels and one turkey hen. You really don't need shotcups for small game, but if wads are hard to find then whatever works. I just used the shotcups for turkey and found out if you have a turkey choke you will have to remove it everytime you reload. :(

Hope you enjoy your shotgun and good luck!

Modern plastic wads usualy work pretty in good in muzzleloading shotguns, some produce exceptional patterns. Experimentation is in order!

If you are looking felt or hard card over-powder and/or over-shot cards most if not all of the wads that ballistic products sells are sized to fit inside a 12 gauge shotshell. They will be too small to do any good in your muzzleloading shotgun. www.rmcsports.com is a good source for muzzleloading shotgun wads.

I shoot a Knight TK2000 shotgun and have had very good luck with plastic shotgun wads for turkey hunting. I use the Multi-Metal & TPS wads from Ballistic Products. I believe Midway USA also carries them.

tooldog

Thank you guys.

If using regular plastic shotshell wads, does the wad go directly on top of the powder (just like it would in a shotshell)? Or should there be an over powder card between powder and wad?

Thanks,
Marc

Either way will work. If you use powder loads over 90 gr. a wad would help keep the heat off the shotcup. Most shotcups like sabots are made to withstand the heat/pressure of powder ignition. Try it both ways and go with the best accuracy/pattern results for your shotgun.

Latest posts

Back