Muzzys Kick

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last time I did that I didnt realize while I was shooting prone position my eyebrow was closer to the scope then sitting at a bench. Learned quickly after that.
Even moving the scope a slot forward in the rail doesn't mean it won't "get you". Just a small mistake shouldering the rifle will get you a good bleed shooting prone. LOL

To hell with ever living in any state that is putting any restrictions on what I can & can't use in or on my friggin muzzleloaders. So that permanently excludes me from ever hunting in some really great states for hunting unfortunately.
Good morning 62.
I'm sure it all depends on how traditional you wanna be. I use peep sites and I don't know if they are traditional or not, but i can shoot iron sites poorly, but probably good enough to kill a deer plus the advantages are I quit hunting this year and I'm only shooting paper, but I think it's self defeating to go to a scope if I can make a good peep side work. It puts a little challenge into an old man's time. I had to hunt with regulations on whatever I was using my whole life, whether it was archery, bag limits, or shooting hours. Sun doesn't always come up or they say it does but I still follow the regulations. Hunters weren't responsible for as much game damage as they are blamed for, but market hunters did a lot of damage to the amount of game we had left in the early days.
Squint

Good morning 62.
I'm sure it all depends on how traditional you wanna be. I use peep sites and I don't know if they are traditional or not, but i can shoot iron sites poorly, but probably good enough to kill a deer plus the advantages are I quit hunting this year and I'm only shooting paper, but I think it's self defeating to go to a scope if I can make a good peep side work. It puts a little challenge into an old man's time. I had to hunt with regulations on whatever I was using my whole life, whether it was archery, bag limits, or shooting hours. Sun doesn't always come up or they say it does but I still follow the regulations. Hunters weren't responsible for as much game damage as they are blamed for, but market hunters did a lot of damage to the amount of game we had left in the early days.
Squint
Thanks for your reply Squint.
I’m not anywhere near a “ traditionalist “, don’t care about that at all, never have.
I do however, care a great deal about freedom though & the unconstitutional restricting or it even in the most minute form. I’ll never change my stance on the fact that we as a society need to stop bowing down & worrying about how we are going to comply with rules & laws that should have never been allowed to be created in the first place vs fighting to rid our state & federal govt of those that make those laws & have them & their laws removed. I’ll just stop there on all of that.
I am happy to see traditional seasons added to states hunting seasons, BUT, NOT at the removal of the right & freedom to hunt with any damn modern muzzleloader with whatever optic, powder & bullet you want to use with it.

I've been watching this thread since day one because I've often wondered how this could happen as it's never happened to me.
Well I can't say that anymore. At the range today with my .50 Beowulf and I guess I got a little to complacent with my "Tuck it in tight" and it bit me on the bridge of the nose. I didn't think anything of it 'til I felt something drip off the end of my nose.
I learned 2 things today, how this could happen and a nose bleeds pretty darn good after being gashed open by a rifle scope!
Not ever doing it again is HOW we're going to play this from now on.

I joined the Crimson Crescent Club with a 54 Rem 700 shooting off the kneeling position. Got the deer though. I was an all steel old school Weaver
I to always used one of those old steel weavers on my main deer gun, but it was a fixed 2 1/2 power with four inch eye relief I believe, so I never got in trouble with it. Every variable i looked at had shorter eye relief belief, sometimes I couldn't believe that you would even dare use them..

I've been watching this thread since day one because I've often wondered how this could happen as it's never happened to me.
Well I can't say that anymore. At the range today with my .50 Beowulf and I guess I got a little to complacent with my "Tuck it in tight" and it bit me on the bridge of the nose. I didn't think anything of it 'til I felt something drip off the end of my nose.
I learned 2 things today, how this could happen and a nose bleeds pretty darn good after being gashed open by a rifle scope!
Not ever doing it again is HOW we're going to play this from now on.
Open sights, or like me i use scopes with longer barrels n eye relief

Ouch. I did that to myself a few month ago while doing some long range shooting. 100-150grains of powder and 295g projectiles. I was so focused on the scope and target I just wasn't paying attention to the recoil, and got myself a nice eye circle.

Over the years I've had my share of scope nips, and my nose/forehead intersection has the beauty marks to remind me.
Many years ago I once knew a gent who took several Japanese friends out to shoot. They were all range virgins and didn't know about eye relief. Among the rifles brought along was a scoped 30-06. While the gentleman was busy with some of the guys, one of his colleagues took a shot with the '06. He ended up with many stitches and has a dandy half-circle beauty mark of his own.

To hell with ever living in any state that is putting any restrictions on what I can & can't use in or on my friggin muzzleloaders. So that permanently excludes me from ever hunting in some really great states for hunting unfortunately.
Well thanks. I don’t live there, but my odds for a muzzy tag in Utah just went up. And I will continue to hunt in Colorado and start putting in for NM. Maybe I will actually get drawn. There are still quite a few seasons in Utah and other states you can shoot your muzzleloader with pretty much anything you want on it. It’s called an any weapon season.

Thanks for your reply Squint.
I’m not anywhere near a “ traditionalist “, don’t care about that at all, never have.
I do however, care a great deal about freedom though & the unconstitutional restricting or it even in the most minute form. I’ll never change my stance on the fact that we as a society need to stop bowing down & worrying about how we are going to comply with rules & laws that should have never been allowed to be created in the first place vs fighting to rid our state & federal govt of those that make those laws & have them & their laws removed. I’ll just stop there on all of that.
I am happy to see traditional seasons added to states hunting seasons, BUT, NOT at the removal of the right & freedom to hunt with any damn modern muzzleloader with whatever optic, powder & bullet you want to use with it.
Is it unconstitutional to have an auto speed limit? The right to bear arms has nothing to do with hunting with a muzzleloader. Nothing. That’s not an opinion, that is a fact. What they did is limit a method of hunting. States absolutely have the right to do . And it has nothing to do with constitutional rights.

You aren’t a traditionalist? That’s your choice, so apply for any legal weapon season, and hunt with everything you want, but there are still limits there.

Last edited:
Back