My 2009 hunting season is in the books

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minnesota

Reaction score
My season started off on September 19th, with our archery opener. In my area, I could only get 1 deer for the year. Our gun season runs right thru the heart of the rut, so I passed on several deer thru September and October. I had several trail cam pics of some good bucks. So I was kind of holding out for the rut to come around. November 7th found me sitting in my stand with the Gennesis, loaded with 80 grains of 777 loose powder, and a 245 grain Aerotip, for the gun opener. The next 9 days in a row brought not one sighting of a deer, sat mornings and evenings. (I have yet to get myself to do an all day sit) Gun season ended on November 15th, so on the 16th, I dug the Hoyt out for a little bow hunting. (our archery season runs from September 19th, right thru December 31st.) Hunted hard for 2 weeks, and then on November 28th, our ML season started. Our ML season ran from the 28th, to the 13th of December. I ended up taking a doe the Sunday of opening weekend. Here in Minnesota, you can party hunt with someone else, so we taged my doe with the landowners tag, seeings he was going to be done after that first weekend, that way I could keep hunting. The second weekend, I passed on several chances at a small 4 point. He had 4 on one side, and then the other side he had broken the main beam off about 2" above the top of his head. I really wished I would have taken him, because early that next week, we got all our snow,and with a hurting back, and 5' drifts, I just couldnt get back to my hunting spot. I did hunt the last weekend, but I sat up by the land owners shed, down by the river, so I didnt really expect to see much. I did see a bunch on Saturday, but not shots. I could still go out with the bow until the end of December, but with Christmas coming and everything, I just have too much going on.So, it is time to clean the guns good, and get ready for next year.

Total of 47 sits.

137 hours on stand

Saw 50 does, and 12 different bucks

All in all, I had a great year!! :cheers:

Lot's of action in your season! Plus you got some venison in the freezer. Good recap...

I'd call it it great season. :)

Back