My 2018 Buck

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
This is the buck i ended up with this year, I cheated and used my little 7MM-08 Centerfire :D I killed him November the 18th I believe? This was a Tough Deer season this year, LOTS N LOTS of hunters, and Just wasn’t seeing the Deer I usually do. This Guy came strolling in about 200 yards Running a Bank line, I could see he was really wide (Well out past his ears) He stopped in some little Xmas type evergreen trees, I couldn’t tell anything other than he was Wide, I settled in behind his Front Shoulder and let him have it. The Bank line he was Running was REALLY Steep below him, and Straight in to a Fairly good size Creek, He made it to the Bottom and Across the Creek :wall: and It was about 20 Degrees the Evening i got him, My feet were Froze after wading over to get him, and getting back across, But They heated back up just fine when i started Dragging him up out of the Hole he was in :lol: it was so steep all I could do was Take a step backward and pull him to me a Step at a Time and Hold him from Going back, By the time i got him to my Truck i felt like i had been Dragged Through a Knot Hole Backwards!

I was happy to get him, but also disappointed when i got to him, He has Good Width, but very little tine length (I couldn’t see his Tines when i shot, all i knew is he was Wide) My goal is a 150 Plus inch Whitetail, 1 of these days, Maybe? I see them every year, just haven’t been able to close the deal on 1 yet, I’ve been Close though!

cOqv8NF.jpg

XwNj8C9.jpg

Congrats Lewis he's a nice deer!! I stopped hunting National Forrest due to the long up the mountain drags, it was hard on me in my 40's an now I'm not even gonna do that to myself in my latter 60's.

toytruck said:
Congrats Lewis he's a nice deer!! I stopped hunting National Forrest due to the long up the mountain drags, it was hard on me in my 40's an now I'm not even gonna do that to myself in my latter 60's.

These darn Mountains get steeper and steeper every year thats for sure!

Congrats!

There's a few hundred feet of rope and a pulley in my truck tool box just for days like that. It makes dragging out of a steep hole less difficult. Even if I have to hike back a few miles to retrieve it, in the long run it saves time and muscle strain on this aging body. Of course if it's too far or a ravine just too deep I'll bone out the meat and pack it out.

I got really lucky on my last ID doe. I shot her while bedded partway down a deep ravine, and she ran *up* 50 yards and expired on the smooth flat ridge top literally on a gently sloping game trail.

What part of ID do you hunt? I was down at Mtn Home for a couple years.

Thank you guy’s, Like i said i was happy to get him :yeah: This was the worst Deer season i have seen in my 8 years here, Idaho sold out all Deer and Elk Tags this year, They sent out an E Letter, and it was published in papers that this was gonna be a STELLAR Year, It definitely worked to sell tags! I read on other forums of Guy’s traveling out here from Eastern states to hunt, looking for any advice on places to hunt etc. This place was covered up with hunters this year. I seen License plates from Texas to Alaska, Our Little town was Packed with Hunter Traffic pulling Trailers with ATVs/UTV’s
I had pretty much given up on Deer Hunting due to not seeing hardly any, and all of the Hunters, So i was happy to get this Buck :yeah:

Very nice. I’ve become a big fan of the 7mm-08 over the last couple years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like the 7mm/08 as well. I have one, my wife has one, and two of my daughters got one for their graduation. Excellent deer rifle and I wouldn't hesitate to use it on elk out to 300 yards with the right bullet. I grew up on a 7mm Mauser which is basically the same.

Nice buck Lewis.
I ended up taking a younger buck this year. After all my talk about taking a doe over a young buck so it could grow up, it got down to the wire and here comes a 4 point which stands broadside at 54 yards. I really wanted a deer for the freezer this year and it was too much temptation. First deer I've shot with a conical out of the Renegade. The 425 grain Hornady GP was pretty devastating to it. Exit hole was about double the size of the projectile and there was quite a bit of bloodshot under the skeen of fat the deer had on its ribcage. First time I've ever shot a deer with anything and found lung on both sides of where the deer was initially standing. 100 grains of 2f driving it. Definitely more devastating damage wise in comparison to a RB.

Renegadehunter said:
I really like the 7mm/08 as well. I have one, my wife has one, and two of my daughters got one for their graduation. Excellent deer rifle and I wouldn't hesitate to use it on elk out to 300 yards with the right bullet. I grew up on a 7mm Mauser which is basically the same.

Nice buck Lewis.
I ended up taking a younger buck this year. After all my talk about taking a doe over a young buck so it could grow up, it got down to the wire and here comes a 4 point which stands broadside at 54 yards. I really wanted a deer for the freezer this year and it was too much temptation. First deer I've shot with a conical out of the Renegade. The 425 grain Hornady GP was pretty devastating to it. Exit hole was about double the size of the projectile and there was quite a bit of bloodshot under the skeen of fat the deer had on its ribcage. First time I've ever shot a deer with anything and found lung on both sides of where the deer was initially standing. 100 grains of 2f driving it. Definitely more devastating damage wise in comparison to a RB.

My first, and only Deer with a Muzzleloader REALLY impressed me!! I shot a Doe with my .50 Cal 1:28 Twist, using my Wide Meplat Custom Paper Patch Bullet, my shot was perfect behind the front shoulder, After the Smoke cleared and i made it up to where she was standing i seen a LOT of Blood immediately along with a Chunk of Lung :shock: I could see her just up the hill about 25 yards or so STONE dead, the Bloodtrail was incredible to say the least, I actually walked around it to keep from getting it on my pant legs. Anyone that might doubt the effectiveness of these Muzzleloaders with BIG lead would soon be cleared of that doubt if they seen what i just described :D

Back