My $250 Renegade

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Took her out with a ball load and some 300 grain REALs.
Shot 7 rounds of .530 ball with .015 patch, lubed with mink oil, an overpowder wad and 70 grains of 3f Swiss.
The REALs were lubed with SPG, an overpowder wad and 70 of 3f Swiss.
The first 3 ball went into 1 15/16ths at 50 and the second and third shots were all but in the same hole. The next 4 were 3 1/4 inches. I only found 1 patch. It was heavily abraded by the lands.
The REALs went into 2 1/4 inches. The first two were 3/4 inch apart. They loaded easily. Thumb pressure got the top band in, and then they went down like a minie. Zero leading thanks to the wad. Only had 3 of them, will bring more next time!
This is an " M" stamp barrel and, while there is no visable pitting, there are multiple grab points when ramming. I've noticed this in a number of " M" stamps. I'm fixin' to polish her up a bit, to try to get that under control.
Annoying...
I think she has potential. I'd like to use full calibers in her. The weight and stock design of the Renegade, really helps in controlling recoil.
Sometimes, big lead is just... nice.

I used 2F with 80 grains of black powder and the grouping with the 300gr REAL improved. I also used an 1/8" wool wad with T/C maxi-lube.
Louie

Last edited:
I also recently picked up a nice .50 renegade for $250 at a pawnshop. Shoots my lee minie ball and 100 grain homemade powder real good.

Latest posts

Back