my black mag test

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cancan

Reaction score
well just recieved my blm3 and will give my inital impression here.

i only fired one shot this evening to see if the fouling was as stated. i started with a clean (spotless) 50 cal with a 300 gr xtp and #11 cap with 90 gr blm3. first thing i noticed is the crispness that it went off with....smoke was minimal and did not block view. upon taking apart the gun i would say its only 1/5 to 1/3 as dirty as pyrodex with light powdery residue inside the barrel. i can see how loading 2nd and 3 rd rounds would be easier with blm3 than with pyrodex. another note is there is nearly no smell and no sulfur smell at all just a light smell of gunpowder.

i will sight in early next week and include further impressions as soon as possible. so far looks like good stuff.

all i can say is WOW. i really like this stuff....i wish i had a chrono.

sighted some new bullets today to see how they worked with the blm 3....i found out my gun doesnt like 45/ 50 cal sabots ...really tight , could hardly get em rammed... 44/ 50 cal sabots loaded very easily..

the main thing with blm 3 is the cleanlyness this stuff you can shoot shot after shot with little more than a spit patch between shots....i weighed pyrodex select 90 gr (vol) weighed 67 gr and 90 gr (vol) of blm 3 weighed 84 gr.....that weight difference along with the fact that blm 3 is more like fffg i decided to cut my loads back to 80 gr (vol) which seems to throw nice groups with the 44/50 bullets from hornaday. shot 3 , 3 round groups of no larger than 3 inch/ group ....this initial test was done off hand in a kneeling position. next week i will get to the range and shoot some groups off a rest. the main thing is this stuff is clean clean clean and very little smoke to obscure your target, and it also goes off cleanly much faster ignition than pyrodex and no stink!!! :wink:

i put a scope on this gun years ago but it turned a quick handling gun into a slug.....im now reconsidering, my eyesight isnt gettin any better thats for sure.

Back