My Bow Hunting Seaon Is... Shot!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueMax

Reaction score
Well... I went to see my Orthopedist a couple of weeks ago, as a follow-up visit after recent shoulder surgery in May, on my right shoulder.  According to my physical therapist I'm ahead of the normal rehabilitation curve for this type of shoulder surgery, which gave me a bit of hope for the upcoming archery season. Since I'm not quite 3 months out from the surgery, I specifically asked my Orthopedist if I could bow hunt this Sept. Even though I'm a left-handed bow shooter, he said he did not want me to bow hunt - period! Obviously I'm quite bummed! :( 

I guess if there's a "silver lining" in this cloud - at least I can still hunt during black powder and gun season. I guess being left-handed does have a few advantages - at least in this case anyway. :D

I wouldn't push it BlueMax.  The silver lining will also be the ability to bowhunt next year.  Good things are worth waiting for. ;)

Yea better to look after yourself now and miss some fun than get hurt and miss the fun for the rest of your life !

BLUE,
I know here in Missouri you can get an exemption from the State so you could use a crossbow during archery season.  Just have to have a letter from your doctor stating the reason you can not use a regular bow.
Don't know if your state already allows crossbows during archery, if you would be interested in doing that, OR if your state even allows that exemption.
GOOD LUCK

Professor,
Here in North Carolina we can use a crossbow during archery season (no exemption needed), but unfortunately I just don't have the "extra" capital right now to afford a crossbow. :cry:

Even though I'm sad that I can't participate in this year's bow season, I will certainly follow docs orders, as I DO NOT want to go through this again! I now see "why" they say shoulder surgery is one of the more painful surgeries! :!:  I've had both done now, so I'm done! The strange part is - my right was MUCH worse than my left - even though I'm predominately left handed?!

I guess on the bright side - I won't have to deal with the skeeters, chiggers, and other bugs quite as long, once I do get in the wood for black powder season.

It's a ***** gettin' old! :pirat:

Patocazador,
I hope I can live to be your age and then some - and still be able to hunt like yourself! ;)

Blue Max,

It gets harder every year. I've never had any patience so usually confine myself to a treestand because I can't make myself walk slowly. This works well as you get older.
The aches and pains come with the territory but most of the physical impairments are surgically fixable nowadays.
Your brain doesn't seem to realize that you're not a young man anymore (until you look in a mirror), so that helps. The main thing is to keep trying.

I was told I couldn't hunt at all this year it could kill me. Like I told my wife I'm killing myself setting around the house I might as well do it out in the woods.

oneshot

If I listened to my doctors i'd never get to hunt.

I just say........Ok Doc...........Then I go hunt.

yea,your brain will tell you one thing,but your body will tell you an entirely different story!

Back