My first Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
My dad bought this old Marlin 336 30-30 for me when i was 11-12ish. My first real hunting rifle.

Over the years the factory finish worn down to nothing on the forearm and the rear was chipped up, scratched up badly.

Took off the stock and forearm this morning and stripped it down, use 100-150 and 220 grit sand paper to do the work. Once it was smooth and scratch free, i used 3 coats of birchwood casey rusty walnut stain and am now applying tru oil. I got the color perfect to where i like it. These older Marlins i think look great with a nice dark stain on the walnut stock, so the 3 coats was perfect.
000_1796.jpg

000_1794.jpg

000_1792.jpg

000_1791.jpg

000_1783.jpg

000_1829.jpg

I'll update once i finish the Tru oil job!

I have 336 in .35 rem., I've had it since I was 18. couple years ago I bought a rem.700 in .243, I pretty much hunt with that but I always take the old Marlin out at least once a season. There's just something special about hunting with an old lever action and open sights! Cant wait to see the finnished product when you get it done!

Those are great rifles. I always liked the Marlin more then the Winchester, but the Winchester is hard to beat also.

Hope it turns out as nice as that Blazer you did. I really liked the results of that stock refinish.

Frontier,

If you Father bought you the Marlin 336 when your were 11 -12 years old the Marlin should have an octagon barrel and a cresent butt plate. :lol:

The marlins are fantastic old rifles and shoot very well. Try the new Hornady 30- 30 leverlution ammo and bring the ole' gun to life again.

I sold my brother my pre-1942 Winchester Model 94 because he whined and belly ached that it was the only rifle he wanted to hunt with. Since I had several other center fire rifles, I made a little money on him.

He was telling me he read an article about those cartridges choc-dog mentioned. So he ordered some from some where. He told me you thought that rifle was accurate before with Winchester Silver tips, you should see it now shooting this Hornady 30- 30 leverlution ammunition. He said if the rifle was scoped (I made him promise never to scope the rifle on condition of sale) the he could easily extend his range another 50 yards he thinks.

yep, we replaced the sights with truglo fiber optics. The factory sights sat way to low and would hurt your cheek after a few shots. These are a huge upgrade and super easy to get lined up right away.

Rifle is done finally! Just put the rifle today tonight and tomorrow i will take some pics!

Back