My Latest

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muley Hunter

Reaction score
I'm getting too old to hold up the Hawken barrels and needed something lighter. I decided on a longrifle. Which was more popular with the mountain men of the fur trade era, so not a bad choice.

Isaac Haines. It has a Rice 38" swamped .54 barrel. Siler lock (flint) It only weighs 7.6 lbs and should suit my old bones better. Mainly my deer rifle but maybe elk if I can get my Lakota friend to help me get the meat out.

Here she is. Wood is much darker than this picture makes it look.

full-lock-side.jpg

This shows the color of stock better.

20200414-111336.jpg

Nice!!

Patchbox release in the heel of the buttplate.

I can't tell if the side-opening patchbox is engraved from the image, is it?

Nice relief carving around the tang.

I'm really hankerin' for another flintlock.

Like a Bobby Hoyt, swamped, 48", "A"-weight, .40 caliber, gain twist, octagon-round barrel with 0.012" deep square-bottomed grooves; stocked in a plain piece of straight-grain maple, stained dark as sin; one of Jim Kibler's new CNC-machined, late Ketland flintlocks; and a lock bolt, single trigger, trigger pivot pin, triggerguard, triggerguard pins(2), breech plug, wood screw, forward ramrod pipes(2), RR pipe pins(2), ramrod, front sight, and ghost ring rear sight on the tang.

Done up as a plain as day, steel-mounted, SW Virginia, barn gun, circa 1820.

Not one thing extra, except what makes a flintlock go BOOM!!!!!@@

Wood finished with oil, and the metal rusted in a steam box for several days.

Both wood and steel scrubbed back with maroon ScotchBrite pads to a matte finish, with the steel being a dull gray. Light coat of paste wax to finish things off.

Weight about 6.75 pounds.

Mannnnnnnn!!!!!

I really hate osteoarthritis!!!!!!@@

Bruce....No engraving on the patchbox. This gun was built and owned by Dennis the owner of the ALR forum. He doesn't claim to be a good engraver but I like what he did and will always think of him when I look at it.

Barrel is a C weight but with the .54 bore it's the same weight as the B weight .50. Overall weight of gun is 7.6lbs with the CG pretty far back.

I'll keep it comfortable to shoot with 70gr of Goex 3F for muleys. Dennis said the gun likes that load. If I go for elk i'll boost the powder up a little. One advantage of still hunting in close in dark timber is I don't need heavy loads. I call them old man loads.

Bruce....No engraving on the patchbox. This gun was built and owned by Dennis the owner of the ALR forum. He doesn't claim to be a good engraver but I like what he did and will always think of him when I look at it.

Barrel is a C weight but with the .54 bore it's the same weight as the B weight .50. Overall weight of gun is 7.6lbs with the CG pretty far back.

I'll keep it comfortable to shoot with 70gr of Goex 3F for muleys. Dennis said the gun likes that load. If I go for elk i'll boost the powder up a little. One advantage of still hunting in close in dark timber is I don't need heavy loads. I call them old man loads.

Dennis has really good taste.

I like his family's Gillespie rifles.

What a great looking flinter. I would guess that is balances real nice between the hands. Enjoy shooting and hunting with this piece.

Latest posts

Back