One More Try

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muley Hunter

Reaction score
Well, I don't know how many times i'm going to buy an inline and then sell it for a sidelock before I realize my sidelock days are over and stay with the inline.
I sold the Wolf awhile back and bought a nice custom built Isaac Haines flintlock. It was a really good shooting gun with the Rice barrel and Siler lock. Then my back said to me........I don't think so Pete. Then my vision said to me..........I don't think so either Pete. I need a light gun with a scope or I might as well tear up my hunting tags.

So, this morning I sold the flintlock and bought a new Accura MR Nitride and Leupold Grand Slam scope. In leftover tags, I got lucky and have a bear, muley buck, and cow elk tags. My Lakota friend will get the meat out for me if I get lucky in the hunts.

I'm sure I can stay with the inline this time. Now, I need to decide on powder and bullets.

Best to use what makes it easier and more enjoyable to hunt, good luck with the upcoming seasons. Get you some heavy conicals with a moderate charge should be perfect for everything your hunting and wont beat you to death.

The problem with heavy conicals and light powder loads is the amount of drop it has at distance. No need to sneak in close when I have a scope. The bear and elk are in rifle season, so I can use sabots. I'll use T-EZ bullets. The deer hunt is a muzzleloader season and i'll need a conical but deer are easy to kill.

You know me. Old guy looking for a low recoiling load. I'm even considering using Pyrodex RS to keep the recoil softer. I won't have to worry about corrosion with the Nitride barrel. The stock breech plug will work too.

Nothing decided yet. I'm still thinking about what will work for me. The MR and scope weren't cheap but I know it will fit me and be recoil friendly. Also, it's light to haul around my mountains. Another stimulus payment will help. :)

HAVE YOU COSIDERED THE 40 CALIBER BULLETS? I really like them for deer and hog hunting. I use the 200 grain Shock Wave when I might need long range , it really reaches out, for more normal ranges I use the Lehigh I tried a couple others but my guns like what I am using best. With a good load the recoil is not bad at all.

I can't. We can only use conicals.

I did decide to use BH again. Too many problems with the other powders. I have the bear and elk bullets decided. I'm tempted to try Aerolites for deer. Just to see how they work but i'd hate to lose a buck if they don't. I could use Thors for everything but I hate to go through finding the one that fits and then ordering some and the sizes are all over the place. I really think a 300gr Aerolite with a mild load of BH will work on a buck. My only concern is i'll be hunting for a bear and buck at the same time. Do I load the gun with a PB or Barnes?

A simple answer would be to give up the buck tag and just hunt for a bear and elk. Both are rifle season hunts and I can just buy T-EZ and not worry about conicals.

I'm a big fan of the CVA Acura mountain rifle also,, mine will put the first two shots of a fury 250 star tip touching each other and the third just off the group, The rifle swings to my shoulder and points like a browning shotgun, I haven't tried lighter charges and a heavy conical.

I agree. The MR is the only production gun that fits me perfect. I have long arms and the LOP of 14.5" is just right. The comb is straight and lines up perfect for scopes. Which is why the gun isn't even drilled for open sights. It's a perfect gun for hunting the dark timber I love and does it at half the price of some other guns.

This is the 3rd MR i've bought. I'm sure this time i'll use it to hunt with. Bear season starts in less than a month. Using BH and Barnes is not a cheap load but I trust it in all conditions. I'm seriously thinking about just shooting rifle seasons so I can stay with the load. I also feel better about using a modern gun and load in rifle seasons. I think the muzzleloader season should be primitive. IMHO I may give up my buck tag because it's in muzzleloader season.

Thanks for your posts guys.

Latest posts

Back