My Lyman Mustang 50 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leapfrog

Reaction score
Well,I finally got the rifle out and did some shooting with it..

Use the 200 grain Dead Center bullets and a charge of 100 grains of Goex 2F powder.. I did not really do any serious testing today.Just wanted to make some smoke and noise..One thing I do want to change on it is the scope rings..I think I need the extended rings to get the scope back closer to my eye..Seems like I am stretching to get a good sight picture ..

Or maybe I will have to change the base it's self.....Does anyone here know who make the bases for the Lyman Mustang rifle..These came with it..

Anyway,I had fun shooting it..My first time with a inline...So maybe if the weather is haveway nice tomorrow I will try some shots off the bench..Is 50 yards a good place to start at?...If anyone can tell me who has bases for this rifle I would appreciate it..Thanks..

leapfrog

glad you rolled some smoke today , what is your eye relife on your scope ? if changing mounts don't work you may need a longer eye relife some were around 4" or better.
can you turn your bases around to give you a little better scope adjustment back to you.

I can't help you with the question about bases - sorry.
You said you did some shooting - were you on paper?
If you are just starting to zero your rifle, I would start at 25 yards. That way, if your sights are very far off, you'll still probably at least be on paper. Move your scope to get dead on at 25 yards (or just a tad high), then move out to 50 and then to 100.
Usually, at 25 yards, because your scope is higher than your bore, the bullet will still be climbing. At 50 (depending on your charge and bullet), it may still be climbing, but should be close. Adjust as necessary to center it left-to-right. Depending on how high it hits at 50, you will have a good idea of where it will probably hit at 100 yards. Then simply adjust to your desired point of impact.

Jaybe--Good idea,,,I will do that..But for right now I was just blasting away into the pit....I have new extended rings ordered to get the scope back more..The eye relief is 3 inch's so I have to move it back some..Then the load developing will start...

My Mustang likes Shockwaves and Deadcenters over 2 777 pellets. It doesn't shoot as well as my Knights or even as well as a couple of the Grandsons Kodiak's but it is plenty good enough for hunting.

Latest posts

Back