My method of....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpsman

Reaction score
lubing patches for round ball shooting! I don't intend to 'fiddle fart' around all day and waste time lubing patches! The below photo shows how I lube patches using Virgin Olive Oil or Canola Oil....both work fine for me with .025" pillow ticking! I cut to a predetermined size...stick in the Mason jar and I don't have to worry whether they are soaked...through and through...which I desire!
25385038261_9ff271ec75_b.jpg

Untitled by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr
ML Patch Lube by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr
I pull out 100 at a time...take them outside and place them betwix two smooth boards and roll over with my front truck tire! Works excellent! After that I place 50 in this container...the others go into a plastic bag!
25452118976_abdbef19de_b.jpg

Untitled by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

Patchcont by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

:cheers: :cheers:

Hey Sharpsman, sounds like you're doing some 'fiddle farting' to me, just not at the range.   :D

What I'm NOT DOING is sitting around lubing one patch at a time!! I doubt I'd get ten rounds fired a week with that scenario!! :( :x

I prefer the hand lube my patches. I can control how much goes on and into the material and feel it with my fingers.

As long as it works and is accurate, that's all that matters.

And, I spare no expense for an accurate shooting patch. If I need to buy a truck to drive over them with, then that's what I'm going to do!

I prefer to do them by hand, but I use a paste type lube.

I save the olive oil for cooking.

I'll lube 20/25 patches and place them in an air tight container. I do this the day before I set out for the range or hunting. 
I just checked the container that I had ready for hunting season, last November, and they were still good to go. That's because I used Jonathan's MYSTERY LUBE back then. Had the jar with me at the range and let a few PRB shooters try it and they demolished the jar. Jonathan sent me another jar but now I can't wait to try the new stuff. 

Ray............ :thumbs up:

BigAl52 said:
What happened to the pics??
I believe they were removed by 'the powers that be'! My method goes against the paste lube sellers!!

Sharpsman,  the best method for patch and ball shooters is what each individual shooter likes to do.  No bad methods....all good!

Smokin' Joe said:
Sharpsman,  the best method for patch and ball shooters is what each individual shooter likes to do.  No bad methods....all good!
Yep!

I'm done here guys! The posting I made was not vulgar or intended to harm anyone but the photos were removed I think because it goes against a 'supporter' of this forum! I don't think I'm wrong on that statement! Be careful of what you say guys or you'll get zapped!!

Good day Gents!

Sharpsman that is absolutely not correct.  This forum has always encouraged each and every member to share and contribute.  There has to be some other explanation as to why your photos have disappeared.  I would sincerely ask that you re-post them. 

Thank you

I can still see the pics?  Even when it was first mentioned that they were gone, I could still see them.  I'm looking from my phone though???  I doubt anybody would nix them...

Got me.  I can't see them on my pooter. Pooter tech is too confusing for me to fix it.

But I hope (and doubt) they would not be removed for being "anti-pasty".

Sharpsman said:
I'm done here guys! The posting I made was not vulgar or intended to harm anyone but the photos were removed I think because it goes against a 'supporter' of this forum! I don't think I'm wrong on that statement! Be careful of what you say guys or you'll get zapped!!

Good day Gents!
We wouldn't do that.

I have NOT removed anything from my photo site! If I was hasty....I apologize! This isn't the first mistake I've ever made!

Now....let me clarify something else! When I stated I wasn't going to 'waste time lubing patches'....I meant AT THE RANGE!! I received a call when I was typing that info and that shot by me without realizing what I had intended to type! I have no problems with anyone using paste lube or whatever....this was just a post to show how my method is!

Back