My Remington Genesis & Blackhorn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWThomas

Reaction score
Well, yesterday I decided to test out my Genesis for the first time. We used my Nikon laser range finder to set-up 100 yards away from the target. I started out using 120 grains of BH209 and just couldn't seem to get it to group well. I went down to 100 grains and it shot a whole lot better. I was testing 3 different bullet/sabot combos. 300 grain Hornaday XTP with Harvester green crush rib sabot, 275 grain Remington PT with supplied sabot, and 290 grain Barnes Spit-Fire T-EZ with supplied sabot. Out of those three, the Barnes T-EZ's grouped the best so I think I'll be using them. We brought a couple melons with us and after I dialed in the load I shot one of them. It exploded in a very impressive fashion!

Afterward I went to clean the Genesis. I already had some Hopps #9 but I decided to try using Remington Express Clean Solvent Spray first. I sprayed some on a few patches and punched the bore several times. It's cleaned everything up just fine and I never had to use the stinky Hopps. So for those of you using BH209, the Remington solvent works also. I'm pretty sure it's the same thing as Traditions solvent. The breech plug was a little more difficult to clean but only because of the fouling from the primers. The end that had build-up from the BH209 cleaned right off with a rag and q-tips after a short soak in Remington Express Clean Parts Bath.

I used Remington Premier STS 209 Primers for all of the shooting and they fired off perfectly every time. I fired 20 shots without cleaning the bore and every bullet/sabot loaded just as easily as the first one did. The breech block did get a little difficult to open after 5 or so shots, but that was because of the primer fouling. I quick wipe with a rag remedied that.

All and all I was very impressed with this rifle and with BH209. I have no complaints other than my sore shoulder. But I'm very happy to be sore.

I had a similar experience with the Hoppes #9. I used it the first time I cleaned the Genesis and it was a bit of a pain. The second time I cleaned it I decided to try the T/C T-17 solvent that came with the starter kit I bought and it cleaned the gun MUCH quicker than the #9. This was with Pyrodex RS, btw. I think I'll save the #9 for the nitro guns.

Nimrodder said:
Hoppes #9 was never intended to clean Pyrodex. No wonder you had a hard time cleaning your gun. Did it rust or pit?
If that question is for me, no it didn't. It's a stainless barrel, though, and only a week passed until I shot and cleaned it again, so that might have helped.

For real blackpowder & Pyrodex, you can't beat Windex. Since BH209 is smokeless powder, #9 seems perfect.

Swampman said:
For real blackpowder & Pyrodex, you can't beat Windex. Since BH209 is smokeless powder, #9 seems perfect.

BH209 isn't a smokeless powder. It may smoke less than other subs, but it's not classified/advertised as a smokeless powder.

Well I personally shot off two jugs of BlackHorn 209, some of it being out of my Genesis. I was very impressed with the powder and how well it cleaned up. The worst was cleaning the breech plug. That took longer then the rifle. But the second time I did it, I soaked that plug first in some solvent and while I cleaned the rifle, cam, trigger, etc.. when it came time to clean the plug it was much easier.

I did have a lot of photos of loads, etc.. until the big computer crash of 2008 when I lost a lot of pictures off my computer. (don't you just love it). But as I remember, I was getting great results with 90,100, & 110 grains of the stuff. I was shooting Shockwaves at first and it did a real good job.

Although with the Wal Mart powder sale in full swing, if I can score on about ten pounds of Triple Seven 2f, my sub powder needs will be taken care of for the year mostly...

Swampman said:
SWThomas said:
Swampman said:
it's not classified/advertised as a smokeless powder.

But it is a smokeless powder.

So it can be used to reload centerfire ammunition, rimfire ammunition, shotshells?.....

Of course (as can blackpowder)

Not sure about reloading rimfires though;)

Hmmm... I wonder how affective it would be in centerfire ammunition fired from an automatic rifle. I know it doesn't work worth a crap loaded in shotshells and fired from an autoloader. And it's kind of weird how nowhere on the bottle does it have the word "Smokeless". And it sure does smoke a lot when you fire it off.

b_shell_blackhorn209-4.jpg

looks kinda smoky :twisted:

"I never had to use the stinky Hopps"

Stinky? I thought everybody loved the smell of Hoppes #9. I love the stuff so much that I soaked a pine tree air freshner in it to hang from the truck rear view. ;) The Mrs even dabs a little behind her ears when she's feelin frisky :)

I think you're getting hung up on the semantics. Things are not always what they are "classified/advertised" as. Were it not for our archaic muzzleloading laws, this farse wouldn't even be necessary. If it loads from the muzzle, it's a muzzleloader. Why it matters what pushes the ejecta out the bore will remain a mystery to me...

NimrodRx said:
"I never had to use the stinky Hopps"

Stinky? I thought everybody loved the smell of Hoppes #9. I love the stuff so much that I soaked a pine tree air freshner in it to hang from the truck rear view. ;) The Mrs even dabs a little behind her ears when she's feelin frisky :)

I think you're getting hung up on the semantics. Things are not always what they are "classified/advertised" as. Were it not for our archaic muzzleloading laws, this farse wouldn't even be necessary. If it loads from the muzzle, it's a muzzleloader. Why it matters what pushes the ejecta out the bore will remain a mystery to me...

I love the smell of Hoppes also. It takes me back along time ago when my dad first taught me to clean my first rifle :D :D :D
Zen

Back