My Small Knife Collection - Nothing Special

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great looking 'stickers'.
Knives are simply neat and handy items.
Always interesting!
Thanks for sharing
knives sm.jpg

Some knives I have left over from last gun show, I make them with old felling and x-cut saw blades, the back, or thin part makes my filet' knives as it is more flexible, then I usually scrimshaw the button or... with something, like I do my Turkey calls, sometimes a name or initials, and if I do a flower or bird, the ladies buy them for kitchen knives! Sheath are cedar.
Photo on 12-13-19 at 8.59 AM #2.jpg

Those are fabulous, Drax!
The natural aspects of those are priceless.

Those are fabulous, Drax!
The natural aspects of those are priceless.
Thanks gemihur, after I cut shape out, I work/grind them with my bare hands and a tray of water so I won't mess up original temper. Some are Caribou antler left over from when I lived/hunted in Alaska. Have couple articles out over the years on my Turkey calls and how to make them etc....

Over the years we have had hundreds of antique knives because they were cheap and not many were collecting them. In the last 25-30 years "stickers" have become popular to the genreal public. Our biggest problem was space for them to be displaced that did them justice.

Here are a few displaces we use to take to the collector shows, now sold but still seen at different events in CO and surrounding states.

bowie collection.jpg folders.jpg
Fighting Knives________________________________________________Folders

working knives.jpg
Working Knives

.​

Some knives I have left over from last gun show, I make them with old felling and x-cut saw blades, the back, or thin part makes my filet' knives as it is more flexible, then I usually scrimshaw the button or... with something, like I do my Turkey calls, sometimes a name or initials, and if I do a flower or bird, the ladies buy them for kitchen knives! Sheath are cedar.
View attachment 659
"Cedar" sheathes... now that's really original! Cedar has unique wood properties.

The piece of antler I was intending on using was a piece of the main beam from the skull up about 5". It was a bit curved which made it feel good in the hand. Really, any good piece 5" to 6" long and up to a couple inches in dia would work fine.

Never thought about trying to find a horn; interesting idea.

Brazed a short length of allthread to the tang, just shorter than the horn. Drilled the horn from both ends, filled with glass resin then mixed horn powder with the resin for the butt, really quite simple. Out HerePC150035.JPG

PC150033.JPGPC150034.JPG

Lost an old friend yesterday. I've carried this folder for over 15 yrs every day and used it almost everyday from trapping to working irrigation at the cemetery and the golf course summers. It was given to me by my ex bro-in-law's son after he opted out with PTSD so very meaningful to me. I lost it for about 2 wks one time and ordered this replacement of the same model and brand..Looks the same but the blade is not as robust. You know, the fastest way to find a lost item is to buy another. Does anyone know of a way to reweld the spring which broke. I'm not familiar with knife nomenclature but the broken piece is shown. If not I'll retire it to the china hutch with my fixed blade collection..Thank you for your time in responding..Out Here

Attachments

• PC160002.JPG
    PC160002.JPG
    288.8 KB · Views: 10
  • PC160003.JPG
    PC160003.JPG
    301.9 KB · Views: 10
  • PC160005.JPG
    PC160005.JPG
    257.9 KB · Views: 9
These are all amazing blades. I have a couple dozen blades left but rely on specific ones. I'll try some photos.

I purchased this southern Bowie knife back in 1955 at a Boy Scouts of America Jamboree at Valley Forge PA, traded a Magepie with a split tongue that could say a few words plus a few bucks.

Etched Bowie Knife with Scabbard
8" clip point, 2.75" false edge, 13.25" overall length, 1.5" forte, nickel plated cross guards with curved quillions, plated pommel secured by four screws. Reverse side of blade etched "J.E. Steele". Includes leather scabbard.
Condition:
Blade is slightly bright with scattered oxidation with scattered slight pitting. Flaking and wear on edges consistent with age and use. Scabbard is somewhat stiff with scratches and stains showing age, but otherwise in fair condition.

Cowan's figures it will bring Estimate: $600 - $800

bowie.jpg
Will be interesting to see how much it brings ...

I purchased this southern Bowie knife back in 1955 at a Boy Scouts of America Jamboree at Valley Forge PA, traded a Magepie with a split tongue that could say a few words plus a few bucks.

Etched Bowie Knife with Scabbard
8" clip point, 2.75" false edge, 13.25" overall length, 1.5" forte, nickel plated cross guards with curved quillions, plated pommel secured by four screws. Reverse side of blade etched "J.E. Steele". Includes leather scabbard.
Condition:
Blade is slightly bright with scattered oxidation with scattered slight pitting. Flaking and wear on edges consistent with age and use. Scabbard is somewhat stiff with scratches and stains showing age, but otherwise in fair condition.

Cowan's figures it will bring Estimate: $600 - $800

Will be interesting to see how much it brings ...
Was this a work knife of yours over the years, or has it been since retired ?

We have never used it, figured it had seen enough hard times, when I got it 1955. I gave it to my father for Chrismas that year. We would get it out and wonder what it had done or seen over its working life and who were its different owners through the years..

We have never used it, figured it had seen enough hard times, when I got it 1955. I gave it to my father for Chrismas that year. We would get it out and wonder what it had done or seen over its working life and who were its different owners through the years..
Having "never used it" with its historic markings would certainly make for an interesting conversation piece!

I hope others feel the same on Cowan's with their Estimate of: $600 - $800, time will tell. :coffee: I did miss Fred the Magepie after trading him off. :(

Latest posts

Back