Mystery Horn

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentucky Colonel

Reaction score
I just got a birthday present. It was found with no information 
available at a yard sale. I found 'Holy Black' in it. My guess is 2F. 
I have a couple thoughts about it's origins, but nothing concrete.

Is there anything you guys can tell me about it from looking at it?

b1my3N.jpg

EGEqC9.jpg

Sure looks original to me, but what do I know?  I really like the use of rings for tie-downs, especially at the front. Whoever did that knew how to weld a ring in tight places. They work well with the iron nails used to hold the butt cap.  There's enough in this that's beyond the high fashion horns being made today, I'd say that's further evidence it's original.  Looks really functional and sensible to me. I'm a fan of small horns, but to go inside my shooting bag rather than over the shoulder.

Thanks, BB. Thanks, Joe. 

I broke out the real camera for this to try to capture the subtle on this one. Here are the pics. 
I am using the micro function. Despite the wide spaces, the horn is completely sealed and functional. 
It still holds the powder.
GUrkl4.jpg

Butt of the Horn
z8MujY.jpg

A leather piece and the hooks near the violin plug
J0zdbY.jpg

Reverse view
JkjNJz.jpg

One more
JFwAqE.jpg

Faint scratches
g4F2m6.jpg

Pins

That is probably more than you wanted. :D

This is clearly a hand made, understated, practical horn. It saw use. The remaining leather and the metal used as hooks 
make it likely it was hung on the outside of a possibles bag at some point. It is a nice size for it. (I may end up using it that 
way.) It could also function as an inside bag carry given the size. I could carry it in a pocket.

It feels really good in the hand. (NO WISE CRACKS!) The pics don't convey that. Whoever built this was a shooter 
and knew what they were doing.

I still have questions.

1. How did it get separated from the maker? Who is the maker?

2. Where is the bag it hung from? 

3. When was it made???

No clue on your questions!

Dollars to donuts though, I bet that's a whittled plug rather than a violin peg. These are pretty standard violin pegs/plugs. I have a stack of the pegs, but mostly prefer to whittle my own.

At a yard sale.. :shock:  

Just goes to show you that " One man's junk is another man's treasure ".

Great find 'Colonel ;)

Marty said:
At a yard sale.. :shock:  

Just goes to show you that " One man's junk is another man's treasure ".

Great find 'Colonel ;)
Thanks, Marty. 

I need to amend that 'yard sale' story. My father gave this to me as a birthday present, 
but he totally set me up.

He had showed me a pic of this a few months back. He told me he "saw it at a yard sale,
but some "other fella beat him to it." He had been "allowed a couple pics" to share with me 
out of curiosity. Dad asked me- based on a couple bad/blurry photos, "did I know anything 
about it by looking." So, I thought it was from a yard sale when I saw it in the box.

BUT, Dad was being sneaky. I am only now getting the real story. 

He got it from a friend (Junior) who "found it while cleaning out a house for sale." The 
friend felt, "...he had no use for it." (It is an unassuming little gem.) Dad said he would 
give it to me. 

Next time I get a chance to speak to 'Junior,' I will ask him more about that house. 
That will be some time in the unknown future. 

My Dad likes to clown around. Here he is at Christmas.
8z9goW.jpg

My rifle (Hatfield) in Dad's hands becomes a prop for a wild- and unlikely- series of adventure stories that he stars in

Back