N-120 vs 5744

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being of Dutch descent (cheap) 4759 and 5744 are one/third cheaper per shot than N120. I use all three can't tell the difference.
Ken

N120 works for me. That is with a 26 inch SMI (Douglas Barrel). The longer barrel aids in the fps, I think.

Cnv0004.jpg

Arrestman- were you using the crush rib or regular harvster sabots with the Remingtons? I have some crushribs rossman40 gave me to try with the Remingtons but havent made it out yet..... Rick

arrestman said:
N120 works for me. That is with a 26 inch SMI (Douglas Barrel). The longer barrel aids in the fps, I think.

Cnv0004.jpg

Hey arrestman...nice shooting. 100 yds.? The smi barrels shown on their site are 28"..is yours 26"?? What twist..1 in 36??
Another in this forum" SW", I think, said his SMI shot 300 gr. bullets well with the 36" twist.

Supposedly Savage built their muzz. with the 1 in 24" twist around 300 gr. projectiles. I guess the Savage could theoretically stabilize a 300 gr. projectile at a lower MV.. than the SMI... ??? Would the Savage have more "potential" at 200 yds. with its twist?? Opinions and/or facts welcome. :?

Vince

s.w.Ohio

The barrel is 26" and a 1:36 twist. I chose this length because I wanted a little longer barrel on my savage but not to long. The SMI standard is 28" but that is on a NEF or H&R frame. The sabots used to shoot this group were Harvester short .452 black sabots. The smooth bore of the Douglas barrel allows the use of this tight fiting combination. I would not recomend this in the savage barrel! This a good group but my average with this bullet runs around 1-11/4".

arrestman said:
The barrel is 26" and a 1:36 twist. I chose this length because I wanted a little longer barrel on my savage but not to long. The SMI standard is 28" but that is on a NEF or H&R frame. The sabots used to shoot this group were Harvester short .452 black sabots. The smooth bore of the Douglas barrel allows the use of this tight fiting combination. I would not recomend this in the savage barrel! This a good group but my average with this bullet runs around 1-11/4".
My personal opinion is that 36" twist is on the ragged edge for stabilizing 300g projectiles. With jacketed bullets, having a twist faster than minimum req"d doesn't seem to hurt at all: ex. 9" Savs and Winchesters 223s shoot 40 g bullets as accurately or even more than 12-14" twists. Same has been proven with 12 vs 14 twist 6PPCs. But sabots are a different matter - possibly. I would prefer a twist just slightly faster than minimum req'd by prediction. I've dropped velocity on my 36 twist SMI down to 2000'/sec and accuracy goes down, possibly due to lack of stabilization at that velocity. Sav doesn't exhibit this tendency. The 300SST @ 2350'/sec does well and Barnes X 458 FB does better the faster its pushed. 2400'/sec is certainly more accurate than 2300'/sec. All this possibly indicates that the twist is just there for these bullets. If I were rebarreling a Sav with a SMI in 50 cal I would like, if available, 26" and 32 twist. If 32 weren't available, I'd consider 28 twist but would not think that 36 twist/26" barrel too slow if I loaded hot enough(75g 2015 or greater). Just some rambling thoughts.

SW, I'm with you one hundred percent. However I have shot three and a half and four inch groups at 300 yds. with the Barnes 300 gr. .458's and with a starting velocity of 2385 and my trajectory chart shows that at 300 yards this bullet will have slowed to around 1500 fps. You would think these bullets would be tumbling at that speed with the 1:36?

If you want to try the IMR 4759 try to find this lot number L11211.I have shot lbs of this the last 3 years and it works.I ran out and only thing I could find was a new lot number in 1 lb plastic jars.Have allready shot allmost 2 lbs of it this year and it is very unstable for me,one shot may be 22 30,the next may be 2400,haven't goten a 3-shot tight group with it yet.
Afellow gave me a can (8 oz old lot #)a couple weeks ago,loaded up some loads went to the range,first shot was dead center in a one inch dot @100,next shot was inside a 2 in dot @200,next shot at 300 was low but inline with the 2 in dot,only thing I could figure out was that I used the wrong mark on the burris scope,loaded another one and made sure I was using the right mark bullet cut the line at one o'clock.
Afriend found a dealer that had one 5lb can of the same lot number that I wanted,I called and ordered it and the fellow said it was the L11211,should receive it one day this week.Think I am going to put an armed guard on it if it is the lot number I wanted.
Another thing I shot the first shot at 100 over a chrony and it was 2449,that was real close to the average I have gottrn the last 3 years of 2440.
I have and do shoot other powders and have gotten some one hole groups out of them also 4227,4198,r-7,n110 to name some,but I just like the IMR4759 better.I took 7 and 4 friends took 4 more deer with my ss model the last 2 years from 58 to 234 yd s using the 4759 all one shot kills and all complete pass throughs.
I posted a comparson of fps on the old lot number and the new plastic jar,don't rember which post but if someone wants to see it I can post again or e-mail it to them.

Latest posts

Back