N120 & insanity cured

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corncob

Reaction score
I read the other day that "Insanity is when you keep doing the same thing over and over and all the while expecting a different outcome."

I have shot some (read that as several) 60 grain loads of N120, but never more than 60 grains. Initially that was with Barnes Originals. I learned they shoot flat, but the groups were not all that impressive. Shortly after somebody said they were going to use 57.1 grains. I thought maybe I'd back it down to 58 grains. Once in a while I got a pretty good group with the Originals and with 300 XTP's, but sure enough I'd get a few of those deviant bullets that took away my confidence.

Today I started out with 58 grains - more insanity. Once I switched to 56 grains the group was tight and I was cured!

At the moment, I am going to use XTP 300 grain. I've got 20 Originals left, but no time before the first hunt starts. I think I'll save them for the late antlerless season when the shots tend to be longer.

Good luck out there - Cob

It is all worth testing-- Art Seaman stuck with 55 gr. of N120.

There is a velocity difference between otherwise identical guns-- 50 fps either way is not unusual with the same charge. That may have a little something to do with it. :?:

Latest posts

Back