Need some advice

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DOUBLE LUNG

Reaction score
I ended up drawing a Colorado Muzzleloader Muledeer tag after 6 years of trying. Now I am trying to figure out what I am going to shoot for a load. I have been shooting smokeless through my Savage 10ml 2 since the day i got it. Since I can't shoot smokeless or a sabot I am trying to figure out what will be my best combo out of this gun. Any insite would be greatly appriaciated.

I tried quite a few conicals out of a Savage and none shot very well,I guess a 348 powerbelt did the best but certainly not great, 100 grains of T7. I ended uo getting a rifle that will shoot conicals
Redclub

i look forward to this conical report. ive always wondered how conicals shot out of the savage barrel with blackpowder subs.

It may just be easier to spend $100-140 on another muzzle loader and just go with that.

the cva buckhorn would be the cheapest and very accurate with conicals.

Blackhorn 209 will give you results close to what the smokeless and it is noncorosive and nonwipe. That 348 HP will do a good job if you plug the HP up tight with solder. You might try some of the Sabortooth bullets made by Harvester the are very similar to PB only have a smaller HP and hold together better. Lee

If you want to use your Savage, I would get some BLackhorn 209 and the Hornady FPB. You will need to cut the Flex-Tip off flush in the hollow point though, because Colorado has that stupid, length can not exceed twice the diameter rule.

I talked to the Lab at Western, and Don says the Savage ignition seals the best with Blackhorn. They are waiting for Hornady to get them some FPB's for testing, but Hornady is filling that huge Wally World contract. I heard Wally World orderd 500,000 bullets. :shock:

With the 1-24 twist, it should shoot a 460 grain No Excuses (.970") with 80-90 grains 777 and a fiber wad.

Lee, are those Sabertooh bullets legal in Colorado or would they be considered a sabot?

Back