NEF Huntsman, Blackhorn 209, .25 ACP Ign, 209 P C Ignition

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busta

Reaction score
Well, I finally got out and shot the NEF huntsman today with Blackhorn 209. The .25 ACP with standard small rifle primers (CCI 400) is not going to work as far as 100% instant ignition. In my preliminary report, I shot off hand at a puddle in front of my backstop, it seemed like it was instant ignition at the time. Today however, I shot off the bench and noticed a little lag in ignition, not hangfires, but a slight delay. I could actually hear the hammer fall a split second before ignition.

First up was some 240 grain XTP's and 90 gr BH209. The lag in ignition was very noticeable on the bench, but the first bullet clipped the bullseye at 8 o'clock. The next bullet hit 1-1/4" right of the bulls center and also had a very noticeable lag in ignition. The third bullet hit about 2" high and right of the bull opening up the group to 3", when all things considered is better than I thought it would be.

027-1.jpg

Next up was 240 grain T/C Cheapshots and 80 grains BH209, this is the same load I shot off hand out my garage door into the puddle in front of my backstop. The lag in ignition seemed to be less, but still noticeable on the bench. The 3rd shot in this group I had a FTF, after using a nipple pick to clean out the carbon in the flash hole I reprimed and had an instant ignition, the only shot out of six that seemed instant. The group was hardly any better at 2.81", and that concluded my testing with the .25 ACP plug and CCI 400 primers. I will get some Small Rifle MAGNUM Primers and give it another go sometime on down the road.

028-2.jpg

At this point I went back inside and swapped to the original Primer Carrier Breech Plug, and Winchester W209 Primers. I tried the 200 grain Shockwaves and 100 grains BH209, ignition was instant, but unfortunately the group was the worst of the day at 3.35".

029.jpg

A little frustrated at this point, I figured I would try the Knight 250 gr PBT's that shoot one hole groups out of my Knight Disc Extreme. They loaded so hard, that if I hadn't had my Knight Range Rod, I doubt I would have got them down the bore. Unfortunately they would not group with 100 grains BH209 and had a vertical 2.90" group.

030.jpg

Very frustrated at this point, I figured I would try something different, a heavier bullet and a lighter charge of powder. I got out the 300 grain SST's and 80 grains BH209. This load shows some serious promise and will get some follow up time at a later date. This was the best group of the day at 1.15", and they loaded much easier than the 250 grain Knight/Barnes and the 200 grain Shockwaves.

032-1.jpg

Overall, the .25 ACP is not going to get it done reliably with the standard Small Rifle Primers (CCI 400). The 209 Primer Carrier Ignition will get it done, but may take a little time to find the perfect bullet and powder combination. My barrel is only 24", and BH209 is a progressive powder which is more suited to longer barrels with the heavier powder charges. I would also like to do some testing with some heavy 460 grain conicals, but I think I will forgo trying them with the .25ACP.

This is the overall target, it was a 3 MOA day today for the most part.

042.jpg

I did use one new primer carrier today for the 9 shots, the blowback was surprisingly less than when using 777, but it washed .010" off the thickness of the carrier. A new one measures .310" thick, that one after 9 shots only measures .300" and was allowing more blowback at every shot.

045-1.jpg

046-1.jpg

I also saved some primers and sabots today. Most all of the primers flowed back as you can see, and the sabots were intact except for the 200 grain Shockwave sabots which are known to shed petals.

036.jpg

If someone would make a Breech Plug for bare 209 primers, he would have a winner for the NEF's with Blackhorn 209 Powder. Probably be hard to convince somebody to make some, now that the NEF ML's have been discontinued.

After the outstanding results in my Knight Disc Extreme, this was a bit of a disappointment. My NEF has shot several MOA groups with proven loads, and can shoot most saboted bullets and heavy conicals in the 1" to 1-1/2" arena. 3 MOA is as bad as it gets for this rifle.

Are you allowed to shoot a 460g conical with it? I thought with bh209 their limit was 350grains?

frontier gander said:
Are you allowed to shoot a 460g conical with it? I thought with bh209 their limit was 350grains?

You can shoot whatever you want, they have only done testing up to 350 grains and have recommended loads for same. I called Western about a month ago to ask about shooting heavier loads, such as 2-1/4 oz (983 grains) in my TK-2000 turkey gun. The guy in the lab ensured that the pressures are no greater than 777 on a volume to volume equivelant.

I already shot some 460 grainers out of my .504 White, but the #11 ignition was not gonna git-r-dun (hang-fires). It did go bang every time, and ignition improved the tighter (more fiber gasket wads) I packed the load. With 209 ignition, I'm sure it will improve greatly. I will problably give it a whirl tomorrow, if the weather cooperates.

Busta,

That my friend is indeed an informitive post. Thanks for sharing, even when it isn't all roses.

I was beginning to think that you could do no wrong ;)

PS. I'm getting close......

Great post as usual, Busta. I have bugged Hubbards more than once to make the very plug you suggest as it always seemed to me that was all the rifle really needed. But he seems reluctant to make them??

Cecil Epp could easily have his machinist make 209 plugs in both diameters - but it doesn't seem likely to me that he would do so.

I wonder if that machinist Bob Bowers is dealing with would make us up some plugs - the one in Utah.

Thanks guys.

I hear ya UC, I have had all those same thoughts several times. Kinda scary, huh? :lol: I have also bugged Hubbards a few times myself, he did say to call back in June about the 209 nipple he makes. I would still need to machine the plug to accept it at the right length. I was prodding him about making a straight 209 plug at least 5 years ago, and every time I have talked to him since, but I don't think he was getting the message, even though I was loud and clear about what I wanted. Cecil could also di it, but would have to figure out a way to save face, since his .25 ACP discovery.:wink: He could market them as BH209 Plugs, but since NEF discontinued the ML's, nobody probably would stick their neck out. I really think there could be a temporary market for these thing, but nobody is going to get rich off them.

I really think the downfall with the 24" barrel is burn time. Check my yellow sabot in the pic, it has unburned powder stuck to the base. This powder, being extruded cylinders really cuts into the sabot bases upon firing. I would like to shoot this in a 26" barrel to see if things would improve. The pressure loss through the primer carriers sure isn't helping matters much either.

Of course my testing yesterday was just a pot-luck, trying to luck into a good load and is by no means a conclusive report. Until I can get a straight 209 plug or some Small Rifle MAGNUM Primers, I doubt I will actually take the time to do a methodical test with each bullet at several powder levels.

According to a strain gage[it dont read in psi but in ratio] BH centers between RS pyrodex and 777-FF up to 130gr which is as far as I went.
Remembering that I am going by ratio and not bullet speed or PSI, I personally am comfortable with the pressure up to 135 grwith a 300gr or less bullet. To use that load normally I would want a heaver rifle the TC I have set up for the strain gage is only 7 pounds and was thumpping me.
I wont even tell what the velocity was it would encourage to many people to use more than they need. There is some thing different about this powder the penality for using a heaver bullet is very little and there is very little gain for using a light bullet. I would not use this power in a gun not designed for 150 gr of RS. Lee

Excellent Report there. Does that powder crud up the fire channel in the plugs? I noticed you said you picked the nipple and it shot better.

Dave,

It can have some serious builup of carbon in the .125" flame channel, as my Knight with the Non-FPJ plug did after 32 consecutive shots without cleaning, but the flash hole always seemed clear. It sort of maintains a clear path in the center of the flame channel among the carbon build-up. The NEF with the .25 ACP Plug contains most of the blowback and therefore the carbon builds up right at the mouth of the case where it funnels down to the flash hole. A chunk of carbon must have been blocking the flash hole and I had a FTF. After I ran the pick in there and re-primed, it went off without a hitch. This was the 6th and last shot of the day with that plug.

The carbon can be easily removed by using the appropriate diameter drill bit and turning it by hand.

Well I tried the BH209 today with some 440 grain White Power Punch bullets. I used 70 grains BH209, .060"x.518" fiber gasket wads, 440 grain conical, and Winchester W209 primers in a new primer carrier.

The first shot was loaded and fired without a hitch, hit 2" high and 1" right of the bull.

Second shot sounded a bit different than the first and printed 1" low and 1" right of the bull, almost 3" of spread between the two at 50 yards. Not good!

The third sounded like just the primer went off, and I could not feel any recoil. Thinking it was a FTF and seeing smoke coming out the primer carrier slot, I held on the backstop for about 3 minutes just in case of a hang fire. After about five minutes I mustered up the courage to crack it open to see what went wrong. Fully expecting to still have a charge in the barrel, I was surprised to see daylight through the flash hole after removing the primer carrier. No clue as to where the bullet went. Not good 2!

I then decided to load one more load, this time I used two fiber gasket wads between the bullet and powder. This time I had a bona-fide hang-fire. God only knows where that bullet went, but I can assure you it didn't hit the target or backer. NOT GOOD 3!

That concluded my conical test. I think the problem lies between the basically slip fit bullets and the primer carriers allowing pressure to slip past. The carrier started at .310" thick and after just 4 shots was .305".

Here is a picture of the primers, recovered bullets, primer carrier, fiber gasket wads, and an unfired bullet.The two mushroomed bullets were obviously traveling at different speeds as evidenced by the mushrooms, even though all things were equal. I just don't see this NEF set-up working on conicals with BH209. If there was a plug available for just a bare 209, you could give it a fair shake. I won't hunt with anything that is not 100% reliable.

Notice the primers in order 1-4 from left to right. The first bullet turned inside out with a full mushroom, the second curled back around even with the base.

002-1.jpg

003-3.jpg

Seems to me that what claims to be the best damned powder in muzzleloading would ignite and fire reliably in more muzzleloading rifles. 8)

Underclocked said:
Seems to me that what claims to be the best damned powder in muzzleloading would ignite and fire reliably in more muzzleloading rifles. 8)

+2 BINGO

To be fair, BH209 clearly stated from the start as to which type of breech plugs and primers to use, I am just testing the waters as to where the limits are. Seems to me they are pretty well defined right on the jug of powder. I am surprised however that they didn't either do more testing with the Knights or show a picture of any of their plugs. The standard concave FPJ plug seems to work about the best by most reports, but I have had great success with the Non-FPJ domed plug also.

Anyone had any success with any rifle shooting BH209 and conicals?
I think the problem lies with the ignition, more than anything. Mine progressively got worse with every shot as the primer carrier probably washed out .001" to .002" each shot, allowing more flame and pressure to escape.

Another thing that might help is trying some oversized wads, maybe .54 cals in a .50 if they will go down the bore. Mine were .518", but only .060" thick. Possibly some oversized bullets that were pre-rifled before hand that would fit tighter in the bore. Piefer used to do that with their conicals. I really don't know the solution yet, but I am sure it can be done in some rifle with a sealed ignition. The other variables will just have to be sorted out through trial and error.

Remember, I was trying to get this powder to do something that they clearly state it won't do, I still love the powder in my Knight Disc Ext with saboted bullets. When I test something I report the results exactly the way it happened. The weakest link in the NEF IMHO is the plastic primer carrier. If there were a 209 plug like the T/C's available, I am sure it would do as well as my Knight, because I know the rifle can shoot as well with the right loads.

Busta, i agree 100%. I believe Blackhorn did a good job saying what you can do and not do with this powder. With the right breech plug i believe this powder will go bang loose sabot or tight.

It is designed for sabots , black powder was designed to throw big chuncks of lead. I just hope nobody gets a detonation trying a progressive powder in ways and things it was not designed for. Lee

Glad I reached for a $25 bottle of 777 Saturday instead of the $37 bottle of BH 209. I too am shooting a NEF, but a SS Sidekick.

I was shooting 90 and 100 gr with 240 gr XTP's and MMP Sabots with Winchester 209's out of a primer carrier....no hangfires, misfires, etc. All went boom and grouped well.

New Range Report, Small Rifle MAGNUM Primers in the .25 ACP

I got out yesterday and shot some BH209 in the Huntsman with the .25 ACP using Small Rifle MAGNUM Primers (CCI 450). The good news is I had instant ignition using.44 cal (.429/.430) 270 grain Gold Dots and 300 gtrain XTP's in both the green Harvestor Crush Rib and the green Knight high pressure sabots. The bad news is the Hornady 350 grain FPB's had a delayed fire and a hang-fire, so I didn't even bother to try the 440 grain White Power Punch conicals. Both of these conicals shot great last weekend with the Hubbard 209 breech plug.

The groups I did shoot today were better than the previous groups (3") with the standard primers. The groups today were all shot with 80 grains BH209 and were between 1-1/2" and 2". Not great, but these were bullets/sabots I had not previously tested, so they may like 90 or 100 grains of powder better.

Latest posts

Back