New 2008 ML bullets from Hornady

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choc-dog

Reaction score
Hornady will unveil a new bullet at the 2008 shot show. While this at first may not sound exciting the new bullet DOES NOT USE A SABOT.

I am curious how they have overcome PB bullets patent or have they! :shock:

Chocdog

Where did this info leak out??? I am curious of the design, will it be a lead conical with a pointed tip? Will it be like the PB or Sabertooth design? Would be interesting to see how they account for different bore diameters.

I was told by Doug at Hornady that if he told me any more he would have to kill me. (no comment U. C.) The bullet does have "polymer" tip which is the same tip that Hornady uses on the Leverlution ammo. Doug felt and he has shot paper and animals with the new tipped bullet that it opened up faster.

Hornady (including the shock wave bullets) and the Power Belt bullets dominate the market share in ML bullets. Hornady will hopefully provide us a bullet with-out a sabot and typical Hornady bullet quality.

Chocdog

I'm all about a new bullet! Maybe a 220gr .40cal/.50 cal SST or a 200gr Bonded Shockwave... but a bore-sized .50cal conical no matter wat you RE-name it is just that... I'll take Bats Ash Can please....

It will be interesting to see what they will come out with at the Shot Show. Hornady has been cranking out all kinds of new stuff over this last year or so. I hope all that new stuff is selling for them.

tooldog

big6x6 said:
I'm all about a new bullet! Maybe a 220gr .40cal/.50 cal SST or a 200gr Bonded Shockwave... but a bore-sized .50cal conical no matter wat you RE-name it is just that... I'll take Bats Ash Can please....

I have the same concern about a full diameter 50 cal. I like you would like to see new .40 cal bullets, the bad news is the .45 cal in-line market is "dead" in regard to new bullets or at least as far as Hornady is concerned.

Even those of us that are using .40 cal bullets in the .50 in-lines there are not enough of us to generate enough production for a new bullet.

In my opinion the reason T/C packages the 200 grain shockwave for the .50 with the blue sabot was to way to "unload" T/C's production order with Hornady because the .45 cal basically has died. There is no doubt that T/C sells more of the .40 200 gr shock wave for the .50 than they ever did or would have for the limited number of .45 cal in-lines out there.

Hornady's production of the bonded shockwave for T/C is a private contract..T/C has total control of the bonded bullet. Hornady cannot offer it under their label, besides they are making enough bullets for T/C and I assure you it is a ton of them.

Chocdog

Thanks for the update choc-dog. Still leaves me wondering how they come up with what to offer. Seems too often that their efforts are not directed at improving what is being shown here and elsewhere as desired.
Too bad for the bonded Shockwave, I can't help but believe that if they were offered in 250 and 300 grain weights in 50 packs without sabots that they would go over well.

I saw a "Picture" of the new Hornady bullet today. It is a full caliber .50 bullet copper jacketed with a hollow base. The hollow base works on the same principal as the Civil War mini-ball. The hollow base will fill the lands upon firing to impart the spin.

A new bullet with an "OLD SPIN" to it...parden the pun. :roll: :roll:

Greg

It should be interesting. I wonder if this is a reaction to some states that don't allow a sabot round for muzzleloading?

bigbore442001 said:
It should be interesting. I wonder if this is a reaction to some states that don't allow a sabot round for muzzleloading?

That was my 1st reaction. Will it be legal in Colorado where no sabots are allowed and the overall length of a .50 cal bullet must 1" or less?

A copper plated conical? Sounds hard to load if it is truley a full bore .50

Could be similar to the powerbelt copper "wash" but with a hollow base to get around the PB design?

Greg- What did the other end of the bullet look like? Was it a HP, pointed or flat?

vabowhntr

From "Yeoman"

My most recent order from Hornady was followed by their catalogue. In it, they show a "new" muzzleloader bullet called the FPB. I can't find anything showing what "FPB" stands for. It is a full bore, copper jacketed bullet with a hollow base, designed to go after the Power Belt. One sentence says "So now you don't have to compromise or shoot a muzzleloader bullet that has to wear a plastic skirt".

BC is claimed to be .285. Looks like it may only be available in 350 gr at $18.33 for 15.

Without the opportunity to see them or try them yet I can only say let's see. Sure hope they have overcome the too loose bore fit of the mini in many muzzleloaders. When I tried the mini in any of my muzzleloaders the fit was so loose I felt that I had better not point the muzzle down without the fear of the bullet slipping down the bore away from the powder charge. Guess I will have to wait like the rest to see.

I would be kind of surprised if they only made it in a 350 Gr, Kinda limiting themselves to a select group of shooters, IMO

PB debacle

Looks ugly and is for the heavy bullet boys that for sure. Power Belt w/out the edible underwear!

Latest posts

Back