New .40 cal barrel length.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dusty Rhodes

Reaction score
As I said in my intro, I'm re-barreling a .50 Deerstalker to .40, .411 actually, with a 1:16 twist.

Why, various reasons. we had a good go at making it shoot, but in all honesty, I didn't buy it for it's original purpose, I bought it to play with
because it was cheap. Also two pins in my shooting shoulder don't help with big loads and light rifles.
And.... because I have the 40/65 Rolla, I have a couple of molds that might do.

The barrel is made, (32.5 inches at this stage) just waiting for him to cut it, crown it and fit the hooked breach, Mill it to half round half Oct,
then stress relieve it.

But what length, I will use it out in the Bush on a goat or two, and Fallow Deer, so not too long, but it will primarily be my 'go to' fun Target rifle.
Bit of an allrounder.

I'm thinking 30". ?? for looks mainly, is there any benefit over say 28"
What is the benefit of a longer barrel, is it to make sure the powder burns properly, do longer barrels take less powder.
Why were they so long in the old days.?

Any advice will be appreciated, Cheers DR.

I believe the answer to all your questions is: "Sight Radius".

The further the front sight is from the back sight the easier it is to make an accurate shot.

With a quick twist, I'm assuming that you're going to shoot long conicals, so 28" should be enough to consume the powder. I want a hunting rifle to be reasonably light and quick handling. A target rifle doesn't necessarily need to be the same, but a just slightly muzzle heavy suits me better for offhand work. Everything is a compromise.

Thanks for your input guys.

Yes I'll be shooting cast projectiles at first, I have flat based Saeco 370g and a Lyman #663 405g that will hopefully work.
If not, then I'll be looking for a mold to try.
Sabot shooting over here is not big, but I'd like to give it a whirl.

Any suggestions. ? Perhaps a hollow base conical, but I haven't seen one over here in .40.
I do have a "Accurate molds" .38 cal for my 38/55 which is of a very good quality so might be giving them some more business.

Cheers DR.

Unless you have a fitted false muzzle, loading groove diameter bullets will be problematic. Bore sized grooved or paper patched, pure or nearly pure will work, but likely will need a wad under the bullet. Hollow based conicals, bore sized can work if the hollow base is shallow enough and skirt thick/thin enough. Another option would be to have a multi-diameter mold cut (Accurate Molds) with diameter increasing from a bore sized base band to a few thousandths over bore at the front. This would allow the bullet to be started squarely without the need of a false muzzle....similar in principal to Maxi-balls or Lee REALS.

Yes will be using a False muzzle, and will try a few different Alloys, from Pure lead to 1%, to 1 1/2%, to 2% etc.

Waiting waiting waiting, unfortunately my barrel maker can't be hurried. :wall: haha.

Back