New 400 grain pinpoint fury

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mnt monkey

Reaction score
First groups with the 400 grain fury pinpoint just getting on paper, will be doing a chronograph test this weekend or next week checking velocities ,I'm going to be shooting this bullet with h 4198 and also with heavy charges of blackhorn. These first three groups were h 4198 the group on the far right is 35 grains middle group is 38 far left is 39. Will be testing these bullets out of an 18 twist Brux,,and a 18 twist Krieger. The rifles have muzzle brakes and both rifles have full shank barrels. The prettiest bullets I've ever seen from fury. I will discuss purpose of these bullets more in post ahead.

Attachments

• IMG_20220804_181949503.jpg
    IMG_20220804_181949503.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220801_145450665.jpg
    IMG_20220801_145450665.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
First groups with the 400 grain fury pinpoint just getting on paper, will be doing a chronograph test this weekend or next week checking velocities ,I'm going to be shooting this bullet with h 4198 and also with heavy charges of blackhorn. These first three groups were h 4198 the group on the far right is 35 grains middle group is 38 far left is 39. Will be testing these bullets out of an 18 twist Brux,,and a 18 twist Krieger. The rifles have muzzle brakes and both rifles have full shank barrels. The prettiest bullets I've ever seen from fury. I will discuss purpose of these bullets more in post ahead.
Nice lookin bullets right there & the groups ain’t bad either. Nice shooting

I'm interested in experimenting with big heavy jacketed bullets most of the long distance muzzle loading competitions are one with 350-600 grain bullets, I do not shoot pure lead and black powder, I might one day but for now I would like to keep shooting Black Horn and smokeless there are some very accurate 350 grain sleek Target bullets available Pittman, Arrowhead, Parker ,etc the 350 region recently proved its potential and competition congrats again encore ,,his success just makes me even more curious about other potential long distance bullets if the black powder heavy lead crowd has such success with 400 to 600 grain bullets why not those of us who size jacketed bullets to bore ride.
I believe a 400 to 500 grain jacketed bullet is going to have great hunting potential also whether it's bonded or not, if 150 lb man such as myself can shoot these big bullets with tolerable recoil than the others of larger frame will certainly be able to these 400 to 500 grain jacketed bullets like the fury and the northern precision are going to need fast twist barrels The recoil is tame with a brake without I know it would be too much for me.
I try to shoot the heaviest bullet, highest bc, that is the most accurate in all of my rifles,, the most efficiency , the most performance, and the most versatility that I can achieve. What's cool is both of these 18 twist barrels will eat up 250 to 300 gr all day long too!!! A lot more to learn!! I like to thank Dennis for his help and Bill at Northern precision.

I was just talkin to Bill at Northern, said hes getting ready to send out some 375gr bullets to someone. Ive got a couple weeks before he gets to my order. No worries as im a coupla weeks from shootin them any way. I had accidentally dialed him and hung up before it rang, but he called me back inside of 5 minutes. I felt bad for interrupting what he was doin, he apologized for calling me during lunch break. He sure is one of the nicest guys you can meet.

I know a lot of animals have been taken with a 405 grain bullet in a 45-70 rifle,, I considered the 35 grains of 4198 a low velocity starting point that would mimic that original 45-70 load. If you look at the groups the gun didn't really like that it was very easy to shoot,, I was not shooting a wad with the bullet, often I do not if I'm shooting smokeless, the 35 grain load might have swelled the bullet much better with a wad and I might have gotten better results with that starting load ,I may go back probably and retry that with a wad. I'm going to spend a little bit of time with that 39 grain load I suspect 40 is going to get in one ragged hole. Hopefully in the months ahead others will join me trying these new bullets!! Hopefully we can get someone to shoot an elk with one of them,, I'd love to see encore , 45-70 ,and others that compete long distance try them out ,,I'm sure they don't have the same or as high BC as the really sleek long bullets ,,but they have more weight to carry downrange too,, I'm just curious,, I would think a 450 to 475 gr bullet with this type of profile would have much potential for the distance shooters and the big body game hunters.

Back