400 grain Northern Precision and fury 400 gr velocities .

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mnt monkey

Reaction score
Bergara 700 clone
Brux number 17 contour
Hankins plug and modules
Federal large rifle magnum primer
Conditions, calm 55 degrees
First group, 84 gr by weight of Blackhorn
1st-1914 fps
2. -1901
3-1912
4-1904
5-1919
Es=0018
Sd=0007
1910 average fps
Group size is pretty good considering I wouldn't trying to group just shooting as quick as I can for velocity.
Next is 400 Fury
85 gr of Blackhorn
1-1955
2-1944
3-1951
4-1943
5-1955
Es=12
Sa=0005
1949 average fps
I'll post the groups which are pretty good wouldn't really trying for group shooting as quick as I could just for velocity I did shoot the fury bullets with 84 grains too the group was about an inch and a quarter went up to 85 grains you'll see the Target on the left has four bullets two and a hole two and a hole right below that and then the bullet that's down on the left I pulled it really likes that 85 grains if that was tweaked just a little bit more I'm sure that load would shoot a hole both bullets show a lot of promise 18 twist
Bottom right is the northern precision above it is Fury 84 grains it did not like it lower left is 85 grains big difference noa shot with any of these. I hope these turn out to be great long distance bullets and Elk freight trains

Attachments

• 20230205_120002.jpg
    20230205_120002.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
Recoil is very manageable with the muzzle brake I think I could go on up to 87 even 90 grains and still manage The Recoil it would put both of these bullets probably at around 2000 I'm sure wad would increase it too

Lookin good!

So I’m looking at the velocities. Did you weigh any of the bullets to see what the actual weight is and is there much variation among or between them?

No wad. Sized the same?

I did go up a grain if you look at the group that's on the top of the right that was 84 grains by weight the fury 400 grain shot okay but I wasn't happy with that and not having a wallet I figure it just needed a little bit more energy behind it you see what 85 grains did on the bottom left had I not pulled that one bullet would have been a great group the fury bullets are almost size the same as a northern precisions just a little different not much

The fury bullet is on the left and if I might say I think it's the prettiest bullet Dennis has ever made myself and the northern Precision is on the right both works of bullet art!

Attachments

• 20230205_120742.jpg
    20230205_120742.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I hope all of us notice what one grain of powder did from the group on the ride at the top which was marginal that was 84 grains the one on the bottom left if I hadn't pulled that one shot would have been phenomenal and again I'm just loading and shooting as quick as I can my point is we should all experiment with those loads tweak them until you got the results you want don't settle for okay pie plate at 100 yards

Ya makes me wanna go home and shoot, but it's a lot nicer in Florida than it is in Wisconsin. As soon as I get home, I wanna drive and go visit Mr Brux at his shop.
Can you tell me how you chose the #17 barrel contour instead of the other options?

Good morning decay, I would have probably went with a lighter Contour a number 17 at the time was the only one I could find in stock we brought that off of Hankins site,, it was not easy to get it fitting in the factory stock I had to grind some metal out of the front of it where the front stud is at but I got it in the stock and it shoots great .

I have the number 17 on the Paramount too that was what I was referring to in my last comment that Contour is common with a lot of smokeless shooters

I was laughing last night realizing I didn't post numbers on the second group the second group is on the right hand side top,, the group was not good and the numbers were not good I ignored those results posting them some of you may have wanted that I'll try to be more thorough the bottom left hand side was one more grain and the 400 Fury I was very excited about the numbers and the load and the accuracy it showed,, do I have a mental disorder wanting only to embrace an accurate load,,? Yes how easy it is for me to ignore one that sucks.

Back