New and used!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjspratley1

Reaction score
New this year to traditional muzzleloaders, muzzleloading in general. I'm a used woodsman and woodsloafer!! Been a hunter and trapper all my life!! Hunt shrooms and Seng and the mountain man lifestyle. Love fur trade era and mountain man anything have since I watched Jeremiah Johnson when I was so young I can't remember!! I bought a used Springfield hawken 50 cal percussion, 1 in 66 twist used for 60 bucks a few years back. Had it hanging on the wall with some furs and traps. A friend of mine brought down supplies this year and we set out to get her shooting!!! Took alot of work, apparently they never cleaned it or took care of it....after alot of cleaning, polishing, scrubbing, and time she shoots!!! And looks absolutely beautiful I mite add, I'm hooked and love it. Would love more info on my rifle if anyone can help with that. Patched round ball doesn't shoot well at all. But 350 grain tc maxiballs pre lubed from Walmart with 110 grains of triple 7 ffg keeps a nice group at 75 yards. Going to drop down to 275 grain bullets since I found where to get them in the same make. Want to learn all I can!! Casting bullets\balls??buying a new hawken and squirrel rifle at tax time!! So any advice there would be great?? Also I trap so I would love to find something in 22 or smaller pistol preferably compact that I can use on the trapline?? And my ultimate goal is a 12 or 20 gauge double or single barrel shotgun for a spring gobler!!! If anyone has any info or advice or whatever please send it along, oh I'm not rich I'm into used and recycled an even better homemade so if you have anything used that your getting rid of I'm looking!!
Thanks all hope to hear from ya's,
Wayne

Sent from my RCT6773W22B using Tapatalk

I always liked the term "woods loafer". Elmer Keith and Francis Sell, who I read a lot growing up, used that term. It's always struck me as funny.

Latest posts

Back