New Arrival - Traditions Hawken Woodsman Percussion

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need a walker, not a wall hanger LOL.

I ordered a percussion and a flintlock.

Here's his "Walker"...guaranteed not to jump the string! Get him Muley!!!
walker.jpg

Nice write ups on the Traditions rifle. I wonder if there is really any advantage to the 1:66 etc. twist compared to the 1:48 for target purposes. I haven't heard any difference in hunting effectiveness when using the round ball out of either twist barrel. 

My TC Hawken .50 cal. works fine with both bullets but hits much harder and is also very accurate with the Maxi Ball or the Plains bullet both of which I have used on deer and black bear. I've only shot snowshoe hare with reduced load round ball and they are accurate from this rifle...  Nice looking rifle! How do you like the flint lock version?  Fun looking forum!

It's not so much the 1-48 twist. The original Hawken was a 1-48 twist. The difference is in the depth of the grooves. Todays 1-48 twist is a compromise with shallow grooves so it can shoot a PRB and conicals.

If you just use a PRB it's better to have deep grooves for heavy hunting loads. Shooting a heavy load PRB can skip over the rifling in a shallow groove barrel. That's when deep grooves work better. With lighter loads is doesn't matter much.

Alaskan Woodsman said:
Nice write ups on the Traditions rifle. I wonder if there is really any advantage to the 1:66 etc. twist compared to the 1:48 for target purposes. I haven't heard any difference in hunting effectiveness when using the round ball out of either twist barrel. 

My TC Hawken .50 cal. works fine with both bullets but hits much harder and is also very accurate with the Maxi Ball or the Plains bullet both of which I have used on deer and black bear. I've only shot snowshoe hare with reduced load round ball and they are accurate from this rifle...  Nice looking rifle! How do you like the flint lock version?  Fun looking forum!
Welcome to the forum! I am glad you are enjoying it so far. We got a couple stubborn old fellows in here, you'll learn who he is.... errr... who they are.... :lol:

I love the flinter version. It likes shorter stubby flints to spark the best and when I say the best, I mean the sparks actually sit in the pan sizzling bright orange/red.

You can read about that on here,
https://www.frontiermuzzleloading.com/t9774-traditions-hawken-woodsman-review

I updated it and will have to re-post pictures of it, but its a real looker. Not that looks matter much IMO. I'll take function and feel over looks all day long.

I updated it and will have to re-post pictures of it, but its a real looker. Not that looks matter much IMO. I'll take function and feel over looks all day long.
When I married.......function and feel with looks both counted. But looks doesn't necessarily take anything away from function........just makes you feel a whole bunch better when she/it is hung on your arm....call it "eye candy". :thumbs up:

of course......when it comes to putting meat on the table, it becomes more about functional methodology and what a fellow fancy's ...i.e. do I like plain short model or a long lanky beauty?........Some methodology is towards modern in-lines and scopes.....others iron sights mounted on a high production side lock .....and some traditional fancy long rifles. But as a wise old sage once remarked to me, I'm "preaching to the choir. :lol:

Muley said:
It's not so much the 1-48 twist. The original Hawken was a 1-48 twist. The difference is in the depth of the grooves. Todays 1-48 twist is a compromise with shallow grooves so it can shoot a PRB and conicals.

If you just use a PRB it's better to have deep grooves for heavy hunting loads. Shooting a heavy load PRB can skip over the rifling in a shallow groove barrel. That's when deep grooves work better. With lighter loads is doesn't matter much.
Thanks Pete, I did not know this. I feel better about using the 1:48 and am glad to understand they were something made back in the day. -- Glen

Pete

what was the rate of twist in the Civil War rifled muskets?..i.e. Colts, Enfields, Springfields, Sharps etc?
Just curious.

I'm not sure Doug. I never had a lot of interest in those guns. I'm kind of stuck in the mountain man era. :Questuon:

Some of the civil war muskets shooting the minie ball still had slow twist barrels in the 1:70 range.

Just an update pic of the bore after using Shoot Out every other time to the range. I gave the barrel a good scrubbing after yesterdays shooting, oiled it, wiped it out the next day and just took a look with my bore camera. Looks nice and clean and shiny now too.
snapsh10.jpg

Back