NEW Bare 209 Primer Breech Plugs for NEF Huntsmans/Sidekicks

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busta

Reaction score
Ran into these yesterday. Says they have had them since January 28th, 2015. I have one 5/8" and one 7/8" ordered, along with one of his 209 Savage compatible breech plugs for my Slufoot .45-70 conversion. Cecils products are on the expensive side, but he don't sell junk. I have had one of his .25 ACP breech plugs for 10 years, excellent product. These look like the same.

He is running a spring sale right now until March 15th, 2015 that takes 25% off most accessories and bullets. It will give you the discount when you place it in your cart.

I already have a lifetime supply of breech plugs, but what is 3 more going to hurt? If these are anything like the .25 ACP breech plug, they will be very close in specs to the Encore/Omega Breech Plugs, which are perfect for Blackhorn 209. These could also be modified for a vent liner after the flash hole has eroded, and would last virtually forever as long as there is no gas cutting in the primer pocket.

5/8"
NEF58.jpg

7/8"
NEF78.jpg

https://www.prbullet.com/nef.htm

Here is the Savage 209 plug if anyone is interested.
savage.jpg

https://www.prbullet.com/

Re: NEW Bare 209 Primer Breech Plugs for NEF Huntsmans/Sidek

Is it weird to say that a breech plug is pretty?

I'm pretty sure my wife would say that its a sign that I have a problem. :lol:

Busta it should be safe to say my nef heritage uses the 5/8 plug. Do you need an O ring like the metrics unlimited plug.
Do you like it better then the MU plug. I will look into placing an order.
Steve.

WV Hunter said:
Is it weird to say that a breech plug is pretty?

I'm pretty sure my wife would say that its a sign that I have a problem. :lol:

She might have a point? :think:

Even still, I agree with you. And I know I have a problem. I have more breech plugs than Carter has Liver Pills!

sbuff said:
Busta it should be safe to say my nef heritage uses the 5/8 plug. Do you need an O ring like the metrics unlimited plug.
Do you like it better then the MU plug. I will look into placing an order.
Steve.

Steve,

That depends on if it was the first year Heritage? The 2004 models used the 7/8" breech plugs like the 2004 Sidekick, and the 2002-2004 Huntsmans. The 2005 and later years all used 5/8" breech plugs. No 0-ring needed with these plugs. I don't know how I like it yet, I just placed the order today, but Cecil is usually pretty quick to get things out. If they are anything like my .25 ACP breech plug, which I can tell they are by the pictures, they will be machined pieces of art that function extremely well.

Yea Busta my heritage is 5/8. Do you know any specs on the plug, I must say I think the MU plug works flawlessly with all powdered I have used, from bh209 to Swiss.

Could it be any better?

Can't wait for your report.
Steve.

Ps- hope all is well buddy

Oh, I agree 100%. The MU breech plug will light up any powder with any 209 primer in my tests. Even the lowly 209-4 (410) primer will light Blackhorn 209 every time, with no delay.

These PR plugs will be easy to convert to vent liner plugs, where the MU plug is not. I already have several custom vent liner breech plugs for each of my rifles, so I don't need these breech plugs. I just cannot fully recommend something that I haven't used myself, even though I know these will be quality breech plugs. Someone is always asking what is the best breech plug for Blackhorn 209. While the best answer is my Custom vent liner breech plugs, the MU and now this one are the best available commercially. I'll give them a good test with several 209 primers and Blackhorn 209, then I'll know. I'll also be checking them for fit, headspace, best fitting primer, ease of removal, flame channel size, flash hole size, etc.,.

But yeah, if you already have the MU breech plug, you surely would not need anything else for any powder type.

All is well here, hope all is well with you and your family.

All is good,waiting for spring !!!

I couldn't not get one , just placed an order.
Steve

If H&R/NEF had used this type of breech plug for these rifles from day one, they would be a very popular rifle. My Huntsman and Sidekicks are excellent shooters, and are not picky about what you shoot out of them.

They have Green Mountain barrels on them, with .502" bores, and 8 lands & grooves, just like my Knights. As a matter of fact, the 1:28 rifling depth, and land & groove width and spacial ratio is identical. I can take a slug from one or the other, and it will fit perfectly in all barrels.

You will not regret having this breech plug, as it can be converted for the vent liners, and will easily add value to your rifle if you were ever to sell it. It will add enjoyment to your shooting, and you just might shoot it a lot more.

My 2003 Huntsman is by far my favorite rifle. That is saying something since it shares company with 14 other muzzleloaders from the likes of White, Knight, T/C, H&R/NEF, CVA, Slufoot conversion. It is still batting a thousand on deer and elk. It will shoot light saboted bullets like the 200 gr Shockwave up to 300 gr sabited bullets. It will also shoot 430 gr to 480 gr full bore lead conicals as good as my Whites. It surely would not have reached that status with the OEM breech plug and ramrod though, not even close. With aftermarket/custom breech plugs and ramrods, these little Huntsmans and Sidekicks are outstanding rifles in any level. Is just too bad they didn't come that way from the factory. But with breech plugs available from PR, and ramrods available from Ben Hubbard, these rifles should get a little more popular than they once were.

Seems there is a dimensional problem with the 5/8" breech plug, so hold off on ordering one of those. Not sure about the 7/8", as I have yet to receive mine.

Cecil is aware. I'll post more when I know more.

What would it take to have a savage/Lehigh vent liner installed? Could this be offered as an option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi - on the breech plugs for the NEF Huntsmans - I have 3 huntsmans and bought the .25 acp's plugs to have in hand in case I ever need. I thought I would but I found a supply of the Orange holders for the 209 primers to last me a life time now. Be careful on other conversions of 209 breech plugs. The Orange 209 primer that comes with the gun allows escape of some back-pressure upon 209 explosion and actually prevents the phenomenon that sometimes pushes the Pellets down the barrel before ignition and affects accuracy. I understand that 0.25 ACP breech plugs are best as they dont explode with the force of a 209 and thus accuracy is not affected. So be careful on conversions for NEF H's and 209 that may explode with too much force that they push pellets before ignition. Note - It doesn't happen all the time - but happens when Mr Trophy is in your sights.
Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks

remsp10 said:
Hi - on the breech plugs for the NEF Huntsmans - I have 3 huntsmans and bought the .25 acp's plugs to have in hand in case I ever need. I thought I would but I found a supply of the Orange holders for the 209 primers to last me a life time now. Be careful on other conversions of 209 breech plugs. The Orange 209 primer that comes with the gun allows escape of some back-pressure upon 209 explosion and actually prevents the phenomenon that sometimes pushes the Pellets down the barrel before ignition and affects accuracy. I understand that 0.25 ACP breech plugs are best as they dont explode with the force of a 209 and thus accuracy is not affected. So be careful on conversions for NEF H's and 209 that may explode with too much force that they push pellets before ignition. Note - It doesn't happen all the time - but happens when Mr Trophy is in your sights.
Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks

These plugs were pulled by Cecil after finding out his 5/8" plug was for a different rifle than the H&R/NEF's. The 7/8" plug fits the NEF's perfectly but, he pulled that one too.

The phenomenon of the 209 primer pushing your bullet off your powder was only valid while Cecil was promoting the .22 Hornet/.25 ACP breech plugs. When he was promoting these 209 primer breech plugs, it was no longer valid.

If you want to shoot Blackhorn 209, you will not be able to reliably ignite it with the orange primer carrier, or the .25 ACP breech plugs, even if you use Magnum primers in both.

I have at least 20 different breech plugs for the H&R/NEF Huntsmans and Sidekicks. Shot every BP Sub and primer combination known to man. While the Orange Primer Carrier & .25 ACP plugs do a good job with Black Powder and BP Subs, with Blackhorn 209, not so much.

Boy, you really had to dig to find this old thread. I was hoping it would never resurface, as well as Cecil, I'm sure. My last order from Cecil took like 10 days to arrive, mailed Parcel Post from North Dakota, after touring the Midwest and even out East and back a couple times. He sent one pack of the wrong weight bullets, then blew me off when I informed him. He did credit my card for the bad breech plug but, he's seen my last order. I gave him the exact dimensions of the 5/8 breech plug but, I guess he no longer wanted to offer them. I haven't even checked his site since last year. His loss!

Well I'll be! You made me go look, and he has the NEF plugs back up for $59.95 USD, which would be $82.72 CAD.

I told him last year, I would still be interested in buying the 5/8" again if he made them with the right dimensions. I was going to do a test and review of both the 5/8" & 7/8" plugs, then post the results. I've since lost interest!

Anybody using one of his 5/8" plugs? I'm in the market for one myself for a little Sidekick.

Just ordered one. Probably have a ventliner installed post haste.

5/8" plug arrived today. It looks good, and fits well. Too tight to close on a W209, but will close on a CCI Mag with a bit of a
"slam" and lightly crushes the primer a little. A little attention to the face with a surface grinder at the shop will ensure a custom fit to my rifle.

Testing to follow. :D

Latest posts

Back