New barrel for Hawken

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hylander

Reaction score
New barrel for Hawken

So I just exchanged emails with Rice barrel company and was told they can not make me a barrel and have no idea who can.
Said they could do it up to 40 cal. but no bigger.
Seems kinda odd, seeing how they can make a barrel for just about any rifle.

So the hunt continues

Re: New barrel for Hawken

Have you checked with Joe and Susie at Gun Works in Oregon. He does barrels and I know they are first class people to deal with. Al

The Gunworks would be my choice they can make any rifle barrel you could want....Super people I have known Joe and Suzi for over 40  years....What barrel are you looking for and for what rifle?

Hilljack

Didn't their gunsmith have a stroke a short time ago? I believe I read that on facebook.

Yes,
Their smith is still recovering.

I'd check with Bob Hoyt about boring/rifling your factory barrel. He would recommend a 1:56 twist for the .50cal, but he will follow orders and give you the twist you request.

FrontierGander said:
I'd check with Bob Hoyt about boring/rifling your factory barrel. He would recommend a 1:56 twist for the .50cal, but he will follow orders and give you the twist you request.
I would, but it is already 50 cal, so it would have to be bored to 54

I am looking for a used 45 cal to send to him

not so, he can bore it and install a liner with the .50cal bore and what ever twist you need.

FrontierGander said:
not so, he can bore it and install a liner with the .50cal bore and what ever twist you need.
That's interesting.
I wonder how the linings hold up and accuracy ?

So I talked to Mr. Hoyt.
Seems like a nice guy., answered all my questions.
I am going to find a used 45 Cal. T/C barrel and have it rebored.
Going to go with 1:56 twist deep groove.
Turn around would about 2 weeks.
He said he could also make me a new barrel to my specs if I wanted, but turn around 
would be 2-3 months.

a barrel that is lined will give more accuracy than a barrel that isnt lined. because their is a lot less vibration or barrel whip. the old timers did it all the time to win matches. a 1/56 liner for 50 cal will give you a tack driver that cant be made better in anyway. it would be the gun of your dreams. it would be a match winner.

how wide does it need to be?. i have a green mt barrel in 45 that is fast twist

steady eddie said:
how wide does it need to be?. i have a green mt barrel in 45 that is fast twist
15/16

Yes that what this is. It is stainless steel and all of the stuff has been removed but the breech.I had it in my renegade stock

I talked to Mr. Hoyt about a month ago. He is building me a custom replacement for my Hawken. 54 cal, 36" i:28 twist for conicals. Said about a month or so.  He also mentioned he can easily re=line a barrel and does a lot of them.

Latest posts

Back