New bullet I'd like to try

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw those as well, the blems are for a box of 100 vs the regular box of 50, but I agree they did seem a little higher priced than I was hoping.

What gun are you shooting it from?

Primarily saboted out of a t/c encore. However I'd like to try them sabotless out of a disc extreme 45 as well.

I'm doing a lot of reading on the sabotless stuff trying to figure it out. That's a whole new world for me, so I'm completely open to suggestions.

Sofar i cant dig out any info on jacket thickness on the Interlok but its likely similar to the FTX/SSTs. So atm i would suggest a cheaper option to learn before going to more expensive bullets. Nosler .451 250gr is cheap and very easy to get to shoot. Jackets are thin and the lead core is soft.

Next time im near Grafs im gunna grab a box of the re-designed Speer Uni-Cor 260gr bullets. I think those will work and they are REALLY cheap too.

I tried to shoot a 250 grain FTX out of my 45 Disc Elite sabotless, didn't work out so well, bullet hit about a foot left of where I was aiming and should have been much closer to the bull. The recovered bullet barely had any rifling marks on it. The marks you see in the pic are knurling marks to make the bullet fit my bore with more loading force.
PLJsjDV.jpg

Here is a recovered 250 grain Barnes TEZ with better rifling marks, both loads used 120 grains (V) of BH209 and a veggie wad. This bullet also has knurling marks.
QLRFAAi.jpg

Barnes target, not terrible and would work for a 100yd shot but not stellar
k5KU1sl.jpg

I would try a 250 or 300 grain XTP with and without a wad and see what you get, then try a 250 grain FTX and see how your rifle shoots. I'm guessing if you can't get the FTX to shoot, the InterLock won't either

Sofar i cant dig out any info on jacket thickness on the Interlok but its likely similar to the FTX/SSTs. So atm i would suggest a cheaper option to learn before going to more expensive bullets. Nosler .451 250gr is cheap and very easy to get to shoot. Jackets are thin and the lead core is soft.

Next time im near Grafs im gunna grab a box of the re-designed Speer Uni-Cor 260gr bullets. I think those will work and they are REALLY cheap too.

Thanks, I'll try and get some of the Nosler bullets to try.

I tried to shoot a 250 grain FTX out of my 45 Disc Elite sabotless, didn't work out so well, bullet hit about a foot left of where I was aiming and should have been much closer to the bull. The recovered bullet barely had any rifling marks on it. The marks you see in the pic are knurling marks to make the bullet fit my bore with more loading force.
PLJsjDV.jpg

Here is a recovered 250 grain Barnes TEZ with better rifling marks, both loads used 120 grains (V) of BH209 and a veggie wad. This bullet also has knurling marks.
QLRFAAi.jpg

Barnes target, not terrible and would work for a 100yd shot but not stellar
k5KU1sl.jpg

I would try a 250 or 300 grain XTP with and without a wad and see what you get, then try a 250 grain FTX and see how your rifle shoots. I'm guessing if you can't get the FTX to shoot, the InterLock won't either

Good suggestions, that's interest that the FTX didn't engage the riflings but the barnes did. In my disc extreme the 250 grain barnes TEZ barely touches the rifling and slides down without any force at all, the 250 grain sst is so tight it wont even start down. I'm sure it would take a good whack to get it started, but I'm new enough at the sabotless thing I didn't dare do that.

Base and the sides near the base are very thick on 250gr and 300gr FTX/SSTs. I even have to run them sorta warm in the Pacnor to get them to shoot. IMO its not worth the aggravation and chance of a hammer down when sizing them tight enough to shoot. I would rather take the time to size a Sierra 458 300gr down to .451 in 2 steps. They will shoot every single time i tried. Its also a thin jacket and softer lead.

Haha, well I'm glad I didn't try to start the sst. So in general if I'm wanting to shoot sabotless, I need a thin jacket bullet, or one that slides down relatively easy, and knurl it up to get more engagement with the rifling, correct?

Safest way is too loose and knurl up to nice and snug. Roughly a couple thousandths over lands. Ive loaded a bunch that way on fouled bores without a problem. Loading force should be no harder than loading a sabot. Actually a little easier.

Thin jacket and soft lead core is WAY easier to get them to shoot.

Safest way is too loose and knurl up to nice and snug. Roughly a couple thousandths over lands. Ive loaded a bunch that way on fouled bores without a problem. Loading force should be no harder than loading a sabot. Actually a little easier.

Thin jacket and soft lead core is WAY easier to get them to shoot.
Seems like a sabotless bullet suggestion list would be of great help . Both in 45 and 50 .

Thank you, how do xtp's jacket compare to the sst/ftx? I was going to pick some of them up as well.

Straight out of the box, sabotless in a 1:20 twist .45 cal with oversized .50 cal wool felt wad.

014 (9).jpg
013 (7).jpg
011 (6).jpg
009 (9).jpg

Last edited:
Wow, those are impressive groups. What bore size are you shooting those out of?

FTXs are fine
Jas1jZa.jpg

Until they are not for some reason. Random keyholing
EsHNEID.jpg

While them cheap Noslers, Sierras and Parkers drilled through the target true every single time. That 225gr FTX has the thinnest jacket of all them. It still needed tighter sizing and 110grV of BH209 or more to not give me random key holes.
cHBgHMC.jpg

LkZeJ1q.jpg

Last edited:
Back