New CVA Accura Plains Rifle?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabinajiles

Reaction score
I was browsing the muzzle-loaders.com site found something that makes me wonder if they have leaked information on a new CVA Accura model. They have 2 new listings for 2 different CVA Accura Plains Rifles. Both have nitride barrels and one comes with the Realtree stock and the other a black stock. They appear to be an MR with a 28" barrel. Both listings currently show that none are in stock. I'm guessing their web person, inadvertently or not, has already added listings for a new model which has not yet shipped to dealers.

Apparently it's true and is a new offering. CVA is calling it the Accura PR. After doing a little digging around on the web, I found some photos of the rifles on the BPI media web site and another dealer's website that has the listings, with no pictures or information, and also list them as out of stock.

https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/black-cva-accura-plains-rifle-nitride.html

DESCRIPTIONREVIEWSSHIPPING
The CVA® Accura Plains Rifle is CVA’s newest top-of-the-line muzzleloader. This rifle offers a higher level of performance and more specialized features than other CVA muzzleloaders.

The Accura Plains Rifle model provides a level of accuracy performance that is unequaled by any muzzleloader on the market today – due to its custom, premium quality, Bergara barrel. These Bergara barrels, are made from high quality 416 grade stainless steel, have quickly become recognized as the most accurate production barrels in the world. And while many of the world's most highly regarded center-fire manufacturers use Bergara barrels on their guns, only CVA offers them in a muzzleloader. It is these Bergara barrels that enable CVA to guarantee their ACCURA series rifles to be "The Most Accurate Muzzleloader You've Ever Shot -- Or Your Money Back."

The CVA Accura Plains Rifle features a nitride treated barrel that's meant to take mountain rifle to a new level—making it the closest thing to a “corrosion-proof” muzzleloader that has ever been developed. The technique used to treat the barrels is known as Salt Bath Nitride. Already used in military applications, the nitride process hardens the outer layer of steel, making it more durable and more corrosion resistant than chrome—which was previously the highest standard in bore toughening techniques. Unlike exterior ceramic coatings, the nitride process penetrates the outside and the inside of the barrel, and can withstand thousands of shots.

The Accura Plains Rifle is designed to fit a wide range of shooters with its moderate length and extended barrel. The Plains Rifle provides just the right combination of balance and maneuverability for the rifle's intended purpose. The Accura is simplistic in operation because the breeching lever is built right into the trigger guard, making the Accura one of the easiest opening break-actions on the market. This gun can be disassembled by removing a single screw. The Plains Rifle design sports many of the same features to help you with your hunt, like CVA’s patent-pending Quick-Release Breech Plug (QRBP), the only such breech plug on the market that can be easily removed with your fingers, no breech plug tool needed. The rifle's ergonomically designed stock is fully ambidextrous, and is upgraded with a SoftTouch coating and rubber grip panels, making it both comfortable and secure in the harshest of weather conditions. Finally, each Accura MR model comes standard with a DuraSight® DEAD ON™ one piece scope mount and matching camo Quake® CLAW® Contour Sling.

So its a Accura MR nitride with a longer barrel. 28" vs 25"

That translates into no more than another 75fps from the tests ive seen. Roughly 25fps per additional inch of barrel depending on the load.

GM54-120 said:

That translates into no more than another 75fps from the tests ive seen. Roughly 25fps per additional inch of barrel depending on the load.[/quote Guns with longer barrels I just don't like the feel. They don't balance well. Only exception I've seen for me is the Triumph.

Sounds like availability might be after the 2017 Shot Show.
Does CVA even have a booth at these shows?

GM54-120 said:

That translates into no more than another 75fps from the tests ive seen. Roughly 25fps per additional inch of barrel depending on the load.
Yep. I, too, wonder how it will change the balance of the MR, with 3 more inches of barrel out front. IMO, it's probably no more than a marketing gimmick and CVA will sell a bunch of them to those who think they have to have the longer barrel. What will be interesting is how the PR rifles will impact the Accura V2 sales. It's only 1" longer overall than the V2 and the stock/frame/barrel geometry of the MR seems to fit many people much better than the V2. If I were looking to buy an Accura with a longer barrel than an MR, I would be seriously looking at the new PR model over the V2.

Traditions did the same thing with the LDRs but i think they also removed the "bullet guiding muzzle" which gains a tiny bit more usable barrel. Traditions though went to 30" iirc.

The Optima V2 has a 26" barrel and is almost as light as the Accura MR.

My 54-120 carbine will get a 300gr bullet out of the barrel at just over 1900fps with a max load of BH209. It has less than 20" of usable barrel length. Its hard to believe these once sold for about $425 delivered.

Looks cool! I'm just a big fan of the goose neck Accura's... I love the way they feel!

The goose neck stock may feel ok, but I cannot stand the way they look, and will absolutely not buy one.

I talked to CVA. The new rifle will be coming out in the first quarter of 2017. Muzzle-loaders.com has it listed at $508

I would have to agree. What does someone plan to gain with the longer barrel and a scope. It is slightly understandable if using iron sights and a longer sight radius with the longer barrel. You can accomplish the same thing just but using a peep sight mounted in the rear scope base holes and the standard barrel.

That longer light barrel contour might even yield worse accuracy due to barrel "whip".

I would imagine it is nothing more than a marketing ploy, similar to what Traditions did when they introduced their "LDR" models and CVA followed with their "LR" models. It probably costs very little to make the manufacturing changes for the longer barrels. Clever marketing convinces some buyers that longer is better, plus some will buy just because it is the "latest & greatest". They expand their product line for hardly any cost and they sell more firearms.

I got my new Accura Plains Rifle today. With the 28" barrel it is 5/8" shorter than my Mod 700 bolt gun with a 24" barrel. I don't notice a balance issue.

chaded, I would not buy the Accura MR, simply because I am use to a 28" barrel. When they came out with the 28" barrel, I ordered it as soon as it was available, although I had to wait 3 months for it to come in. I wanted a 28" barrel with the MR stock. It seems like a great idea to me.

Back