New dilemma...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
Of COURSE I ordered the new T/C 250gr BONDED Shockwaves. :shock: Now the question...Do I actually HUNT with them this year? Do I DARE argue with five one shot kills, no steps? Do I even THINK of messing with success? I AM going to try them in Savage #IV and the ULA Sunday morning.. HOPEFULLY that will be my last range time of the year, at least my last before Texas November 11th...

2005rangepics%20222.jpg

I can tell you if it ain't broke don't fix it. :!: These bullets shoot better across the board than any I've used. As far as performace on game their "perfect". :wink: By the way where did you get the bonded?

Chuck from what I have heard on the grapevine the bonded version is better at holding together then the original. I guess it is all in what you want. If you want really fast expansion use the original, if you want the ability to shoot a raking shot you may try the new ones. Also in Alabama I know there are some quality deer shot every year but I do think on average southern deer run a little smaller then their counterparts up here North of the Mason Dixon line. It is not uncommon to run into deer up here that will go over 250 on the hoof, and I know from experience some of these bigger bucks can really soak up the heat if you know what I mean. IMO I would go with the bonded but I think regardless if the shot is on the money with either you will have deer in hand. But I think for the sake of science you could shoot the bonded and make a report here. :lol:
BTW coming home form a cookout at the inlaws last night I had a nice buck cross the road in front of me. He was an 8 or 10 point, looked to be 3 years or younger. I guessed he would dress out at 175 or so. Nice deer but I would love to see him in one or two more years.

If shooting out of a box blind, take two guns with two different loads. Depending on the occassion just grab one. If its close in...use the Bonded to see terminal results. Use your known load for lond shots.

To me, confidence is everything...go with what you feel confident in. When there are seeds of doubt things can go wrong or you pass up shots you would normally take.

If I was meat hunting I'd try a new bullet, but if I was on an expensive hunt or after a trophy that might be a once in a lifetime shot....I'd go with what I knew and trusted.

DeerNut said:
To me, confidence is everything...go with what you feel confident in. When there are seeds of doubt things can go wrong or you pass up shots you would normally take.

If I was meat hunting I'd try a new bullet, but if I was on an expensive hunt or after a trophy that might be a once in a lifetime shot....I'd go with what I knew and trusted.[/quote

I agree with Deernut on this one.

I say give them a try big6x6. Hornaday has an awesome reputation for producing quality big game bullets and I can't see why these won't follow in those footsteps. Half the fun of muzzleloading is testing new products. You must have wanted to try them if you ordered them so go for it!

Back