New from New England

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not deer hunting season anymore. Throw out some apples, you'll see plenty if they're in the area. Out here they have plenty of acorns to eat. Haven't seen many deer since I shot my doe though. They pretty much cleared out all the acorns here and moved along to the next food supply.

A while back I dumped a sack of corn out after hunting season and put a camera on the pile. I did get a few deer on camera. Few being the operative word. Sufficiently few that the conclusion being there were not many deer around. This was out in the woods, fairly deep into the woods. I did get a pile of turkeys on camera however!

I just picked up a 12 gauge White Tominator a couple weeks ago from a fellow member on here. I'm looking forward to doing some turkey and pheasant hunting this year. Massachusetts stocks 40,000 pheasant every year for hunting. So I can't wait for spring turkey hunting. I've never eaten wild turkey before, or pheasant. I heard they're delicious if you cook it right.

I've never eaten wild turkey, but quite a few pheasants. They (pheasants) are indeed good table fare. Both are a ton of fun to hunt!

Turkey hunting via calling is reminiscent of elk hunting. More fun is hard to find. I got a Rio Grande in Southern Utah on a draw hunt a while back.

I already got my sporting license for this year. It comes with 2 buck tags. Then I paid $5 for 3 turkey tags. 2 bearded turkey in the spring, 1 of either sex in the fall. I'll find out if I'm eligible for a doe tag in August. It's done through a lottery. And then it's another $5 for "primitive firearm" stamp for muzzleloader season. The sporting license also comes with a fishing license included. And it all cost me $59 altogether. Usually it's almost $30 just for my fishing license. So I'm excited to get out there and get some meat on the table. LOL

I already got my sporting license for this year. It comes with 2 buck tags. Then I paid $5 for 3 turkey tags. 2 bearded turkey in the spring, 1 of either sex in the fall. I'll find out if I'm eligible for a doe tag in August. It's done through a lottery. And then it's another $5 for "primitive firearm" stamp for muzzleloader season. The sporting license also comes with a fishing license included. And it all cost me $59 altogether. Usually it's almost $30 just for my fishing license. So I'm excited to get out there and get some meat on the table. LOL

It sounds like you're all dialed in! $59 for all that is great. A resident combination license in Utah is $38, then comes the tags. Deer $40 (one buck deer), elk $50, for general season tags. Draw tags are significantly more than that. Count yourself fortunate!

Doe tags are only $5 each here, IF you're lucky enough to get one. In some zones, you can get more than 1. The zone I hunt in, zone 9, gives out a lot of doe tags. And after the lottery, if there's any left over... You can buy 1 doe tag per zone, per day. Until they sell out. I think $5 is fairly cheap. I'm almost guaranteed at least 1 doe where I hunt. As long as I have the tag for it.

5 bucks for a deer tag of any variety is a bargain! A doe eats as good, better than most, bucks.

I definitely agree with you there. Although... I'd rather shoot a nice buck and have it mounted, than shoot a doe. I only shot my doe because I wasn't seeing any buck and I was running out of time in the season. I'd like to keep the doe alive, to keep producing more buck. But that being said... This area is flooded with doe. I'm just hoping to stumble upon a nice buck this fall.

Flooded with doe! Sounds like Nirvana! Although I did see some deer yesterday. Walking to the barn there was several deer (between six and a dozen) in the woods running along the edge of the trees. They ran to where ever, then in a minute ran back. Definitely the most deer I have seen in Connecticut at one time. Woohoo! Maybe they were from your area and got lost!

If so, they traveled a long way! LOL I'm in north-central Mass. Townsend, Mass to be exact. Near the New Hampshire border.

Latest posts

Back