New from Traditions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would love to have a 1 and 24 or 1 and 22 twists economical 50 cal myself I know a lot shooters on this site have had good luck with a 28 twist and a 300 grain bullet, I personally have not ,I've gotten 250 and 275s to group well in a 28 twist I've never gotten a 300 grain or 300 grain plus to group in my 28 twist with the exception of the 325 fury size to fit my bore,, and for me I'm looking for an inch group three shots at 100 I've gotten 300 grain bullets to shoot an inch and a half and 2 in I just haven't been able to get a consistent group under an inch with a 300 grain in a 28 I know a lot of others have,, I'm stuck in the camp of faster twist more diversity in , bullet size ,it seems like everyone that shoots heavy bullets/heavy lead in a 28 is shooting black powder or a completely different powder I shoot Black Horn so I've never tried heavy lead four five six hundred grain bullets 28 twist,,,I know I have a lot of leftover 452 bullets between 275 and 350 grains I would love to have a fast twist 50 cal to shoot them in that had a twist more friendly to the 300 plus grain bullets

There are bullets that will benefit from the faster twist. How much they benefit in a sub 6lb rifle is another matter. :D CEB has a 44cal 250gr that is over an inch long as one example. That bullet just dont work as well in a slower twist. In theory the 1-24 will help you shoot longer bullets a bit slower than a 1-28. So if you want to shoot a long 300gr without as much recoil it might be possible. Ive shot 300gr Barnes TTSX out of my 54-120 and they shot good as long as i used 110grV of BH209 or more. That load rocks you a little but its not terribly punishing.

Pedersoli has been cutting 1 in 24" twists in some of their muzzleloaders since the early 2000s'. I bought a Brutus in 2005 and it has that twist. There may still be some some deals on them on the 'net. (CDNN) Mine was too early to be set up with a 209 system (before Blackhorn). They are now. It is a VERY accurate and HEAVY muzzleloader. Perfect for stand hunting or testing. Mine weighs a little under 10 # loaded with scope.

Latest posts

Back