New guy- Knight rifle revive with Black Mag 3

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VA Highlander

Reaction score
Hi guys. I've been lurking for years and have learned a lot here. I finally thought I would get bonafide and become a member. I currently hunt with a Tradtions Vortek UL rifle with BH209. But I'm thinking about pulling my old Knight T-Bolt out of the back of the closet and taking her hunting this fall. Nostalgia I guess- plus it was a real shooter. Killed a lot of good bucks 15 years or so back with it. I have a 209 conversion kit already installed on the T Bolt from years ago, but think I remember reading that BH 209 really is hit and miss with this older gun and the conversion system. So I recently cleaned out an old gun safe in my shop and lo and behold- in the back were 2 completely unopened, factory sealed jugs of Black Mag 3 powder. I used to shoot it years ago in this T Bolt. My question is- am I ok to assume its still 100% viable since its been sealed and never open. I also have another half used, plastic jug of it. Wondering about this and whether it will perform 8 years later. Any advice is appreciated!

Welcome from another VA hunter!
I'd say to shoot the black mag an see how it performs. Probably okay. I don't have any experience with that powder.
Season starts next Saturday better get going....

Thanks Toytruck, Yep I'm ready- the Vortek is lined in well. I just found another thread from long ago that says most of the BP loose powder substitutes are good to go for many years if you keep em dry and stored properly. So I'm gonna play with the T Bolt some this week for grins! Where you located in VA? Im in Highland County way out on WV line.

I used to shoot Black Mag'3 back 15 - 20 years ago. It's probably clumped up in the jugs, but can easily be broken back up. You might have lost a little consistency over the years, but there is only one way to find out.

BM'3 is a very dense Black Powder Substitute. 100 grains by VOLUME is approximately 107ish grains by WEIGHT. Of course that will be dependant on the moisture content of your stored powder.

So, a 1 pound jug of BM'3, actually will give you less 100 grain VOLUMETRIC
Black Powder (Goex, not Swiss) EQUIVALENT charges than a 10 oz jug of Blackhorn 209.

BM'3

100 grain VOLUME = 107ish grains WEIGHT

1 pound = 7000 grains WEIGHT / 107 = 65.42 100 grain Black Powder (Goex, not Swiss) VOLUMETRIC equivalent shots per 1 pound jug.

Blackhorn 209 is 15 - 20 percent more energetic by VOLUME than Black Powder (Goex, not Swiss), so it needs to be reduced by 15-20 percent to calculate EQUIVALENTS. Blackhorn 209 is also less dense, so it also needs to be reduced by a 0.7 WEIGHT multiplier.

Examples:
100 grains VOLUME = 70 grains WEIGHT. Reduced 15 percent to 85 grains by VOLUME = 59.5 grains by WEIGHT.

Blackhorn 209

100 grains by VOLUME reduced 15 percent = 85 grains by VOLUME

85 grains by VOLUME = 59.5 grains by WEIGHT.

10 oz jug = 4375 grains by WEIGHT / 59.5 grains by WEIGHT = 73.5 100 grain Black Powder (Goex, not Swiss) VOLUMETRIC equivalent shots per 10 oz jug.

So 8 more 100 grain VOLUMETRIC Black Powder (Goex, not Swiss) equivalent shots from 10 oz jug of Blackhorn 209 over a 1 pound jug of BM'3.

Let us know how the BM'3 shoots. I have a half jug left on the shelf. It clumps over time, but is easily broken up.

Thanks Toytruck, Yep I'm ready- the Vortek is lined in well. I just found another thread from long ago that says most of the BP loose powder substitutes are good to go for many years if you keep em dry and stored properly. So I'm gonna play with the T Bolt some this week for grins! Where you located in VA? Im in Highland County way out on WV line.
Rockingham Co. I used to hunt Highland had some great times there.

I still have a jug of BlackMag 3 as well. Price was $22.50 back then.
Still using it.
The original company owner died Tony Cioffe. Son took over and ran it into the ground. Martin Electronics was making it for them.
I liked it..
Have shot it in Disc rifles NP.
Toy,My family was Rockingham Cty. Then Hardy. I’ll be in Moorefield this weekend.
Member of Bear’s Heil too.image.jpg

I used to shoot Black Mag'3 back 15 - 20 years ago. It's probably clumped up in the jugs, but can easily be broken back up. You might have lost a little consistency over the years, but there is only one way to find out.

Thanks for the great info. I think I'm currently shooting 64 grains by weight of BH 209 in my Vortek. I can't remember what size BM3 load I shot years back. Does a load of 95 grains by volume sound reasonable to start with in my Tbolt?

BM'3 is a very dense Black Powder Substitute. 100 grains by VOLUME is approximately 107ish grains by WEIGHT. Of course that will be dependant on the moisture content of your stored powder.

So, a 1 pound jug of BM'3, actually will give you less 100 grain VOLUMETRIC
Black Powder (Goex, not Swiss) EQUIVALENT charges than a 10 oz jug of Blackhorn 209.

BM'3

100 grain VOLUME = 107ish grains WEIGHT

1 pound = 7000 grains WEIGHT / 107 = 65.42 100 grain Black Powder (Goex, not Swiss) VOLUMETRIC equivalent shots per 1 pound jug.

Blackhorn 209 is 15 - 20 percent more energetic by VOLUME than Black Powder (Goex, not Swiss), so it needs to be reduced by 15-20 percent to calculate EQUIVALENTS. Blackhorn 209 is also less dense, so it also needs to be reduced by a 0.7 WEIGHT multiplier.

Examples:
100 grains VOLUME = 70 grains WEIGHT. Reduced 15 percent to 85 grains by VOLUME = 59.5 grains by WEIGHT.

Blackhorn 209

100 grains by VOLUME reduced 15 percent = 85 grains by VOLUME

85 grains by VOLUME = 59.5 grains by WEIGHT.

10 oz jug = 4375 grains by WEIGHT / 59.5 grains by WEIGHT = 73.5 100 grain Black Powder (Goex, not Swiss) VOLUMETRIC equivalent shots per 10 oz jug.

So 8 more 100 grain VOLUMETRIC Black Powder (Goex, not Swiss) equivalent shots from 10 oz jug of Blackhorn 209 over a 1 pound jug of BM'3.

Let us know how the BM'3 shoots. I have a half jug left on the shelf. It clumps over time, but is easily broken up.

I really liked that powder !!! Im suprised no one bought the formula and rights to it !!! Some have said it was inconsistant but i had Great accuracy and velocity with Black Mag 3 . You found a hidden gold mine if you ask me. I still have about 1/2 lb of it that i keep just because . The only problem i can see is when its gone , its gone !!! Enjoy it , in my books it was among The Best !!! Good luck hunting too !!!

They did. And the plant had an explosion. If I recall there was a death involved.
Some of the shareholders tried to revive it.
( I was shareholder sad to say) The son was a crook.

They did. And the plant had an explosion. If I recall there was a death involved.
Some of the shareholders tried to revive it.
( I was shareholder sad to say) The son was a crook.
Wow !!! Damn thats terrible !!! Sorry to hear that !!! Son was probably a spoiled brat , they usually pull some kind of crap one way or another !!! What comes around goes around Jr. , he WONT escape that !!!

Well, I didn't have the Black Mag 3 in place on opening day yesterday and went with the tried and true BH209/Vortek UL set up. But did have new Scorpion PT Gold 300Gr. bullets employed. Seemed to work! BP Deer.jpg
photo.php

Latest posts

Back