New kit build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CO_MTNman

Reaction score
I am thinking about starting my 2nd kit build and I've got it narrowed down to either a .54 lyman great plains hunter from TOTW or a .54 Dixie hawken kit from DGW which of the 2 would you recommend?

sounds like either one would have fit the bill nicely. Look forward to your build.

Good luck with it! Something I’d like to do at some point if my life ever slows down 😬

Dang! that's the same rifle I bought new back in '78, even the box is identical. I still have the box and rifle, though they look a mite worse for all the wear.
Solid construction unit, and a decent compromise rifling twist if you care to switch back and forth with ball and conicals. Have fun building and shooting that !

I am beyond excited so I've been fighting back the urge to just finish it as quick as I can so I can go shoot it but I enjoy the process of building so much that I have been forcing myself to take my time since I have nothing but time these days. Wood stain and brass black should be here Saturday. As far as hunting with it goes I am hoping to draw a few elk tags 2021 season so lord willing I can take a few elk and possibly a mule deer

I was gifted a Cabela's kit for the same or a very similar rifle a few months ago, by a fellow member of my local gun club. Believe the kit is several years old. It is a right hand flintlock, and has a couple of problems. There is a one-eighth inch plus gap between the butt plate extension and the comb of the stock. I could either reset the plate forward, or fill the gap with several layers of sheet brass filed to contour. In either event I will file flats on the extension to dress it up a bit. Actually, that idea argues for setting the plate forward and adding a wedding band at the front edge.

The other problem is that the walnut stock is a mix of dark wood and very light colored sapwood. The sapwood shows up at the front of the forearm and the bottom of the buttstock. I could stain the sapwood dark, but doubt I can get a good match with the rest of the stock. Think I will just prepare the surface well, and let the personality of the rifle show through. I'm surprised how heavy the stock is.

The patch box and nose cap will take quite a bit of prep work, as both are fairly rough castings, especially the cap box.

Glad this project is available. Feel like I am sixteen years old again. Gas is cheap, but I'm grounded.

love the brass black, what brand are you using, I have a Traditions that needs that

I blackened the brass on two of my rifles with BC's Aluminum Black. I didn't have any Brass Black and was just trying some stuff I already had. It gave a nice "black iron" look.

I "age" brass with Vinegar or Ammonia. Not hard, works, at least for me. Clean brass part well, suspend it with wire in a jar large enough to hold it, couple extra holes in the lid help, 1/2 inch or so of vinegar or ammonia in jar should not touch bass, it is the gassing off that does the work. If you use ammonia, you have to watch it close as it works fast and if you have to go off for a couple days or three, may age more than you were looking for. Why i use vinegar. Check it and in a day or two remove and "lightly" go over it with as fine of steel wool as you have, put it back in, repeat several times and you may find the result defies anyone guessing its age.

Latest posts

Back