New kit build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I "age" brass with Vinegar or Ammonia. Not hard, works, at least for me. Clean brass part well, suspend it with wire in a jar large enough to hold it, couple extra holes in the lid help, 1/2 inch or so of vinegar or ammonia in jar should not touch bass, it is the gassing off that does the work. If you use ammonia, you have to watch it close as it works fast and if you have to go off for a couple days or three, may age more than you were looking for. Why i use vinegar. Check it and in a day or two remove and "lightly" go over it with as fine of steel wool as you have, put it back in, repeat several times and you may find the result defies anyone guessing its age.
Sounds like good chemistry.

Barrel is blued and now I am letting the stock dry for 24 hours until I put the sheen on and then itll be time to put it all together, the rear sight is really kicking my butt!

I once asked an old, gray haired flint shooter what was the best thing to use for aging brass. He looked at me and said, "Son, it's time, just plain old time". No I didn't; just messing with y'all.

Latest posts

Back