New knight purchase

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsnake4

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a knight 45 1-20 fast twist and can’t decide between the mountaineer and the ultralite. I am also considering getting the longer mountaineer barrel in the ultralite stock. Is the ultralite stock with aluminum bedding block a superior stock? I am not all that concerned with weight but want the most accurate combination. Which would you recommend.

I think Sabotloader has done it. Im very biased towards light weight rifles so i dont have much interest in the Mountaineer unless your goal is a heavy diet of max loads. I can shoot faster loads in my Ultra Light Arms and i dont find the recoil to be too terribly bad. NULAs weigh less than a Knight UL. They start to rock you pretty good with a 275gr or heavier.

I am looking to purchase a knight 45 1-20 fast twist and can’t decide between the mountaineer and the ultralite. I am also considering getting the longer mountaineer barrel in the ultralite stock. Is the ultralite stock with aluminum bedding block a superior stock? I am not all that concerned with weight but want the most accurate combination. Which would you recommend.

I am not sure Knight will sell you a ULite stock or put a ULite stock on a Mountaineer. The have a composite that looks like a ULite stock but it is not Kevlar. I have not checked with Knight for sometime about purchasing a Kevlar but a year or so ago they would not.

If you are a hunter I would suggest the ULite rifle especially the Nitride finished ULIte. If you believe you might be shooting ranges of 300 and up - then maybe the Mountaineer. But I still would stay with the ULite myself.

I am not sure Knight will sell you a ULite stock or put a ULite stock on a Mountaineer. The have a composite that looks like a ULite stock but it is not Kevlar. I have not checked with Knight for sometime about purchasing a Kevlar but a year or so ago they would not.

If you are a hunter I would suggest the ULite rifle especially the Nitride finished ULIte. If you believe you might be shooting ranges of 300 and up - then maybe the Mountaineer. But I still would stay with the ULite myself.
I emailed them and was told they could put the mountaineer barrel in the ultralite stock. I was thinking it wouldn’t add much weight of the standard ultralite but would give me a longer and heavier barrel for maybe better accuracy at longer ranges.

Knight has a custom slip you can fill out , you might call and ask , if you want accurate rifle in .45 and weight isn't so much a factor the Mountaineer in 1-20 is way to go with Bestill installed plug. Doug S. on this sight shoots one competition .

I emailed them and was told they could put the mountaineer barrel in the ultralite stock. I was thinking it wouldn’t add much weight of the standard ultralite but would give me a longer and heavier barrel for maybe better accuracy at longer ranges.

If they said that - you are in good shape! the ULite stock will work great on a Mountaineer!

This is a FT Mountaineer in a ULite stock. Really do not use it that much - but it works well.

Mntneer-45-FT.jpg

If you order it or even the ULite - think about ordering it with a FPJ bolt - mush easier to convert to a bare primer with a new Lehigh 17-4 primer adapter and breech plug with removable vent liner.

I would go with the Lehigh bare primer setup too. Buy a couple FPJ adapters instead of just one just in case you lose one. The FPJ adapter will work with either the Lehigh plug or Bestill's plug so all your bases are covered.

So order it with a full plastic jacket bolt not the bare 209 from knight.

FPJ bolt
Lehigh FPJ adapter x2
Lehigh or Bestill plug
Vent liners if you go with the Lehigh plug

Call Jeff @ BESTILL and as him which might be the best way to convert (trying to save you some $$$) - I am pretty sure he uses the FPJ bolt and Lehigh Primer Adapter.

How do you hunt ? From a treestand ?In a hut with bags or a rest? With bi pods in prone position? Do you have long hikes or still hunt ?

I am asking because all this makes a difference . Myself personally I do not care all that much about weight. One of my favorite Knight stocks is the Pro Varmint stock (500 stock) That stock along with the Mountaineer thumbhole stock rides bags very well.

If you shoot with bipods then I would buy the Ultralight stock.

If your wanting to shoot long range my LAST concern would be weight. Unless of course you are hiking up and down mountains . My main concern would be how the stock fits . The better the stock feels and fits the easier it is to duplicate your form when shooting long range.

Bestills (Jeff Fisk ) plug system for Knight rifles are a MUST !!! Jeffs system is a real game changer. They make Knight rifles as user friendly as any custom rifle. I can shoot ANY load without ANY leakage at all . ALL DAY LONG ! I can not say enough good things about Jeffs breech plug system.

I also agree with GM . I like tbe FPJ bolt with the Lehigh adapters. I have all my Knights converted over to that bolt with Jeffs breech plug. You more or less can drop the primer in and when set up correctly the primers fall out.

As you can tell i am a little partial to Knight rifles. Only because I think they build the most accurate production rifle at the present time . I truly believe that. I am very anxious to see how the new CVA Paramont will stack up to my Knight rifles.

How do you hunt ? From a treestand ?In a hut with bags or a rest? With bi pods in prone position? Do you have long hikes or still hunt ?

I am asking because all this makes a difference . Myself personally I do not care all that much about weight. One of my favorite Knight stocks is the Pro Varmint stock (500 stock) That stock along with the Mountaineer thumbhole stock rides bags very well.

If you shoot with bipods then I would buy the Ultralight stock.

If your wanting to shoot long range my LAST concern would be weight. Unless of course you are hiking up and down mountains . My main concern would be how the stock fits . The better the stock feels and fits the easier it is to duplicate your form when shooting long range.

Bestills (Jeff Fisk ) plug system for Knight rifles are a MUST !!! Jeffs system is a real game changer. They make Knight rifles as user friendly as any custom rifle. I can shoot ANY load without ANY leakage at all . ALL DAY LONG ! I can not say enough good things about Jeffs breech plug system.

I also agree with GM . I like tbe FPJ bolt with the Lehigh adapters. I have all my Knights converted over to that bolt with Jeffs breech plug. You more or less can drop the primer in and when set up correctly the primers fall out.

As you can tell i am a little partial to Knight rifles. Only because I think they build the most accurate production rifle at the present time . I truly believe that. I am very anxious to see how the new CVA Paramont will stack up to my Knight rifles.
I mostly hunt whitetail from a tree stand but get way back from most. Taking kayaks and such. You really want the best of both worlds. Long rang and not too heavy. I currently shoot a tc encore 50 cal that is very accurate out to 200 meters. But it
Drops off past that. It doesn’t
Let me any bullet over 250 grains

Why don’t you just put a new custom smokeless barrel on your Encore? It will be cheaper and shoot harder than any knight rifle. It would be cheaper to shoot and you won’t have to clean it as much either.

Or a new custom 45cal muzzeloader barrel from MGM. Look at Haus of Arms, you can get a 45cal MGM Custom encore barrel for about $450. With free shipping.

Or a new custom 45cal muzzeloader barrel from MGM. Look at Haus of Arms, you can get a 45cal MGM Custom encore barrel for about $450. With free shipping.
Not really looking at smokeless. In New Jersey you can’t hunt with smokeless.

Latest posts

Back