New member from Idaho

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gatlan

Reaction score
Hello all. I’m Gatlan from Idaho falls, Idaho. New to muzzleloading and have found a lot of helpful information on this page. I recently decided I wanted to give making my own bullets a try and have been melting down lead from old water pipes. From what I understand I want pretty much pure lead and I think what I have is real close to it because I can scratch it with my fingernail. Got my first mold today. The Lee 320 gn .50 cal gonna try it out a bit later when I get the chance. I would greatly appreciate any help on do’s or donts for molding! Thanks all! Happy to be part of the page!

DO: get started casting with whatever you can!
DON’T: get water anywhere near molten lead
DO: wear leather gloves and safety glasses
DON’T: be in a hurry
DON’T: cast in your house
DO: have good ventilation
DO: keep your casting station clear and well lit

Last edited:
Start off watching the video I sent, then ask away.
Things to do:
Work in a well vented area.
If possible use a small fan to blow any fumes away from you.
Wear protective clothing. Gloves, long sleeves, shoes, eye protection. Don’t ask I can show you all kinds of tiny scars.
Wash your hands thoroughly
Clean molds with brake cleaner and remove all traces of oil. I spray my molds with oils to protect them when I’m done casting and store them in a ziplock bag.
I like to use a toothpick to clean the edges of the bands and groves.

Welcome from Maine. I drove through Idaho forty years ago and it’s a beautiful state. The old lead pipe you have is pure lead just flux and skim it and it will be perfect for muzzleloader bullets.

I really appreciate all the help! You guys are awesome! What is you guys recommendations on the lube rings. I’ve seen some people put wax in them and stuff just curious on thoughts on that. Before I’ve started casting I’ve always just put some bore butter in a bag with my bullets and get them all coated but wanted to see if you guys think I should fill these rings with something

Attachments

• 5F339C33-5E0B-4B9F-A16A-8C563F9DAF26.jpeg
    5F339C33-5E0B-4B9F-A16A-8C563F9DAF26.jpeg
    297.1 KB · Views: 0
Welcome to the Forum! 🤠

I originally came for info on the CVA Optima V2 pistol. Got lots of good info, liked the Forum, and stuck around!

Lots of knowledgeable, helpful folks here… on both modern AND traditional MLs. 👍

Also one on the most “polite” Forums on the ‘net!

——
Lead water pipes were the first thing I ever melted down, for round balls. Lots of hard water/mineral “scale,“ otherwise not bad.

Mine were a tangled mess. To make them more manageable, I tried cutting them up w/aSawzall. Too much lead “sawdust.” I know- whack with a hatchet to crimp it… then just fold back and forth to break it. Worked great!

There was some water left in the pipes, didn’t give it too much thought. When I’d stick another section of pipe into my cast iron pot, I’d stand it on end in the melt, and lean it against the side of the pot. You could occasionally see steam vent out of the end, and it was fun to watch. “The brilliant are easily amused!”

The excitement came when I had a piece with the end crimped shut pretty solid. I popped that in the pot, but instead of venting out the steam, it held it in- right up until the explosion! 😳

That was my first visit from the “Tinsel Fairy”- lead splatter all over the driveway! 🤪

Boots, long pants, long sleeves, glasses AND face shield, and gloves kept me from any pain or injury! 👍

Latest posts

Back