New MK-85 Owner

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
Been wanting an MK-85 for a long time, A good friend and Forum member Harleysboss made a trip over to Shoot Muzzleloaders with me, he brought his Stainless MK-85 .54 Cal along, It now belongs to me! :D What an AWESOME rifle, You really can’t tell this 1 from brand new, HB took very good care of it :yeah: Thank you for an awesome rifle my friend!

P9Svbeh.jpg

He didn’t have a spare BP Tool so i fashioned myself up 1 this morning, This BP is the Slotted style. And I believe it to be the 11/16 Plug, From my understanding Knight never made a Percussion Hex head BP plug in 11/16, only in 5/8, But they DID make a Hex Head 11/16 for 209 which does me no good. Anyway, Now i can use a 1/4” Ratchet with the Slotted BP, And unlike the Knight Tool this Setup allows me to pull the BP with the nipple stil in it, instead of the Knight Tool where you have to remove the nipple first, then the BP
5OhXQ0u.jpg

agr1rIN.jpg

manutvJ.jpg

3TvzIy9.jpg

You may want to verify this plug fits if you want a hex head. Its 11/16th
M000624
BREECH PLUG, SS, 11-16, 52 Cal., BIGHORN, #11 & MUSKET NIPPLES

GM54-120 said:
You may want to verify this plug fits if you want a hex head. Its 11/16th
M000624
BREECH PLUG, SS, 11-16, 52 Cal., BIGHORN, #11 & MUSKET NIPPLES

Pretty sure you are correct Scott...

This is a Knight M900032 compared to a Slotted 5/8" BP.

5-8_inch_11-16_inch_BP.jpg

The Knight sight lists it as M900032

https://www.muzzleloaders.com/product/b ... eech-plug/

Congrads on the rifle, those are great rifles for sure. I have a blued one in .54.
Excellent job on the socket. Never thought of using a socket for one of the tools, good idea. What size socket did you use?

ShawnT said:
Congrads on the rifle, those are great rifles for sure. I have a blued one in .54.
Excellent job on the socket. Never thought of using a socket for one of the tools, good idea. What size socket did you use?

I can’t take credit for the Socket idea, i seen a picture where another guy had done this on another forum. I used a 1/2” Craftsman socket, It was a perfect fit, and works like a Champ! :yeah:

idahoron said:
Awesome Rifle Lew!!! I like the socket Idea.

Ron, Do you have the Newer Hex head plugs in your MK 85s or this Slotted type?

Thank you GM54 And Sabotloader for your help with this BP stuff, I am confused a little here, Is M900032 and M000624 The same plug? Did knight change that number somewhere along the line? Hopefully the 52 Bighorn Plug works in this MK85, I would rather have the Newer Hex Head plug over this older Slotted type.

I coated this BP Good with Nickel Anti Seize And reinstalled it using the Modified Socket, this Socket works like a CHARM! I have No fear of Rounding the Slots, it grabs and holds Really good :yeah: I made sure to go slow and check fit often, i Wanted the Tool to fit the Slots good n tight. I did this with my Calipers, Dremel, and a Flat file, I have about 15 Minutes in it :D I found this while doing a Google search on The Breech plug tool for the MK-85, it was on that 24hour Campfire forum, the Thread was back in 2011

Idaholewis said:
ShawnT said:

I can’t take credit for the Socket idea, i seen a picture where another guy had done this on another forum. I used a 1/2” Craftsman socket, It was a perfect fit, and works like a Champ! :yeah:
Cool, Thanks. Never saw mention if it before but its a great Idea. I personally never had an issue with the slotted plugs. They also came in the MK-95 for the #11 ignition. It and the plug for the Large Rifle mag primer ignition were 11/16 x 20. I have used the grease and anti-seize too but had went to Teflon tape and never had a stuck plug. I shoot Swiss, Pyrodex, 777, and BH209 with plugs covered in tape.

I did come up with a way to hold the barreled action when at the range. Used a piece of oak board for it. The slot fits the flats on the action and then the rectangle hole is for the mounting block/recoil lug. Made this one back in 1998 after getting the first MK-95, but fits the MK-85 too. Its cut to fit in my range box. Never needed to but the idea was to C-clamp it to the bench.

L56Pa2v.jpg

Nice rifle Idaho, I've been wanting one just like it. Had a chance 3 years ago and didn't jump, still kicking myself.

Thanks Guy’s, I really like this rifle! I just got done with the Rear Peep, It now has Target Knobs, Gib elevator lock, and Large Target Aperture. Just need a Globe up front so i can use my Shavers bpcr inserts and I’ll be off to the Races! :yeah:

dI9Q8B9.jpg

Congrats! Sweet rifle! I love my MK's! :yeah:

Nice tool rig, should work perfectly. I have 4 MK's, 2 have slotted, 2 have hex head. Its 6 of one, half dozen of the other (to me). The hex is obviously a little advantageous because you can just use a socket to remove/install, but there is no functional difference.

I use pyrodex RS and RWS #11's in mine. :D

That is a great mountain rifle. Western legal and easy to carry. Load it up with some heavy lead and you’re in business.

And very purty boot!

Idaholewis said:
idahoron said:
Awesome Rifle Lew!!! I like the socket Idea.

Ron, Do you have the Newer Hex head plugs in your MK 85s or this Slotted type?

Man I need to check in more often. Both of mine are the slotted type. I have a tool for both. Midway USA has the Hex plugs every now and then. I was going to buy one but haven't yet.

My-85 lover
I have my predator .54 in stainless as well. Back in 91 I went for the synthetic stock. The gun is well built. I have found socket 209 breach plugs. Good luck on a sweet purchase.

Latest posts

Back