new ML to play with

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex Dr.

Reaction score
hi guys

i just secured a new ML to try out this weekend

i picked up a omega .50 s/s laminate thumbhole with a 1.5-5 t/c scope

i think i got a good deal at 475

oh well if not

i know it will be fun dialing her in

it is pre owned but nice nice 1 small idiot mark many omegas get on the stock by breech plug

im told she likes 100gr loose american powder and the guys is throwing in a bottle of it as well as the bullets he shoot (250 shockwaves)

wish me luck im going to use the old omega this weekend to hunt dads got his encore and my uncle will be using the new encore i picked up early nov

only i can go from 1 ml in Oct to 4 by dec

JD

From 1Ml to 4 mL

the issue with 4 muzzleloaders is ..choosing which one to hunt with unless you need to outfit the whole family. :D :D

choc-dog

I like a variety of rifles to shoot and choose from. It makes it much more exciting standing at the gun rack wall and taking time to examine them all and what they can do, then decide which one will get the turn for the day...

Good luck with you hunt. I am sure the Omega will do just fine for you.

as i see it, doc, w/ 4 muzzleloaders yer just gettin started . . . :D

It makes it much more exciting standing at the gun rack wall and taking time to examine them all and what they can do, then decide which one will get the turn for the day...

I'm kinda glad I don't have that decision to make. Knowing me, I'd be halfway out the door and change my mind. Then I'd be halfway to my spot and change it again. Then I'd be sitting in my blind . . . . :D

Good luck with the new gun. Have fun and be safe.

Jeesh, And I thought I was doing good with just one. It makes it easy to go to the gun rack and figure out which one to take though. :wink:

thanks guys

i agree which one do i use

long story short i bought a omega last year loved it

dad wanted to ML hunt so i borrowed a buddies walnut/ blue Encore (dad liked it so i bought it for dad) i really wanted it but bought the omega 1st

well in nov a s/s lam encore came up at a smokin deal so it came home (will turn it to a deer rifle as well)

well now this thumbhole omega popped up and a deal and i really wanted thumbhole when i bought mine but could not get one fast enough for me

well i figure dad will use his encore i will loan one to my uncle and i will have to choose left overs

HMMMMMMMMMMM

the 1st omega is real good to 150

the encore s/s encore is dead nuts at 50 (only range i could get to)

the new omega is said to be 2" at 100 but i will have to see

JD

thanks and this weekend we are ML hunting here in Mi

hopefully three whitetails fall to big clouds of smoke

Its a disease and the only cure is to buy a new muzzleloader every year to keep the fever in control. 8)

Seriously, once I bought my White Super 91 I have no desire to buy another one... unless its another White.... :lol:

toytruck said:
Its a disease and the only cure is to buy a new muzzleloader every year to keep the fever in control. 8)

Seriously, once I bought my White Super 91 I have no desire to buy another one... unless its another White.... :lol:

I never had a White; but I just bought a laminated stock, stainless ,
White Thunderbolt It is having the barrel fitted by Doc this week. Can't wait to finally shoot a White considering all the great reports I have been reading.

MLKeith said:
toytruck said:

I never had a White; but I just bought a laminated stock, stainless ,
White Thunderbolt It is having the barrel fitted by Doc this week. Can't wait to finally shoot a White considering all the great reports I have been reading.

Wish I had seen this earlier. I have heard of problems with the thunderbolt in the bolt itself,even they are good shooters, just ignition problems. I don't have any experience with one, but just a heads up. The plunger style Whites would be more reliable. Ask underclocked I believe he had one or may still have it.

I know initially the T-Bolts had the 209 pocket too tight and the primers would not come out and sometimes would not go in. The dimensions of the pocket has been changed. Doc has now worked out another primer system for the T-Bolt which is similar to the .25ACP except he calls it the 336 which is the diameter of a .32 short Colt cartridge that he liked better because it has a rim. I have two of my inlines converted to the .25ACP so if he will do it I am going with the new 336. I asked him about the T-Bolt or one of the other White rifles and he said "Go with the T-Bolt". If it is a White rifle I have to trust Doc.

OK, sounds like you have done your homework with the thunderbolt. Hope it works out for you and lets us know. Anytime you buy a new gun is a good thing. 8)

Two additional notes. Doc used the 336 conversion in Africa from what I have read. Also; the 209 primer breechplug apparently is adjustable for contact with the bolt face as Doc recommends setting it up so that there is a slight interferance fit when the bolt is closed to eliminate any blowback and that would likely make the ignition more positive due to a deeper firing pin hit. Maybe Doc does not expect the breechplug to be set to maximum depth. Not sure how that works with powder residue getting into the threads but he did mention that he can set the clearance. When and if I get any time to talk with him I will ask.

I'd get the M98 conversion, and bypass all the headaches you're going to get with the set-up you speak of. The Thunderbolt wasn't / isn't / never has been "user friendly". Better yet,,find a Super 91 and be done with it. The concept with Doc's guns,,is to shoot big conicals, and load again, and again, without swabbing,,,,,with extreme accuracy. I have 3 Super 91s,,and a White Lightning,,all in #11 percussion ignition. They're all "tack-drivers" out to 100 yards. (cos that's as far as I've zero'd 'em in,,took a nice 6 pointer at a lazered 152 yards last year, tho)

This is my last 3 shots at 75 yards with my White Lightning .504 last week,,using 75gr. Swiss 3F undar a 1/8th" felt wad and a 496gr. NEW N-Line Whitworth (self cast) bullet, topped with a Leupold 3x9x33 Ultra-Lite VX-II (Chuck,,ya gotta check one of these out)

Mvc-006f.jpg

You don't need all that stuff to make these Whites shoot. Go simple,,and play with 'em. Find the bullet that works. Geeesh,,,I'm a lowly fireman,,if I can do it,,so can you. Don't make it hard on yourself.

Latest posts

Back