New mold

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just received my new .501" 440 gr Lee mold. I might cast some tomorrow and see how they fit my bores. I should be able to push that bullet between 1500 and 1600 fps.
I will try them lubed and paper patched/sized to see which are more accurate.

I just received my new .501" 440 gr Lee mold. I might cast some tomorrow and see how they fit my bores. I should be able to push that bullet between 1500 and 1600 fps.
I will try them lubed and paper patched/sized to see which are more accurate.

With pure lead they will be 458 to 460 grains. This is a two hole mould so the bullets will not weigh the same. I keep the 458 for my self and sell the 460's to friends.
I have seen a lot of these shot. The best results were at 1300 to 1350 fps. Use a .620 sized over powder wad with a hint of lube melted into the wad. Just a hint.

Thanks Ron. I didn't know they were different weights! That's odd. I'll have to see what my mold casts.
I don't know when I'll get to casting them. Maybe I'll take my stuff down south.

Thanks Ron. I didn't know they were different weights! That's odd. I'll have to see what my mold casts.
I don't know when I'll get to casting them. Maybe I'll take my stuff down south.

I think they are supposed to be the same but all of these I have (3) all throw different.

You two likely know this, but if you cast with lead alloy, the bullet will be a bit larger D. since pure lead shrinks the most after cooling. Hardness of the alloy bullet also changes, so test hardness after 2 weeks or more.
If anybody out there knows how to size a self-created mold, let's say 45 or 50 cal., so it throws a bullet or ball of "X" diameter after shrinkage, I'd sure like to know that -- both for pure lead and, say, 1:16 alloy. Oh please, please -- is there a chart about this saved from the workshop wall of some old mold-maker!?
Thanks and aloha, Ka'imiloa

You two likely know this, but if you cast with lead alloy, the bullet will be a bit larger D. since pure lead shrinks the most after cooling. Hardness of the alloy bullet also changes, so test hardness after 2 weeks or more.
If anybody out there knows how to size a self-created mold, let's say 45 or 50 cal., so it throws a bullet or ball of "X" diameter after shrinkage, I'd sure like to know that -- both for pure lead and, say, 1:16 alloy. Oh please, please -- is there a chart about this saved from the workshop wall of some old mold-maker!?

I've been casting that bullet since 2008. I'm fully aware of casting with this mould and many others.

That's why Tom at Accurate molds asks what you will be casting with so he can determine what size cavity(s) to put into the mold block.

Latest posts

Back