New Omega had double success on first hunting trip!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toolman

Reaction score
Well, I finally broke down after 25 years of shooting a T/C .54 cal Renegade and bought an Omega two weeks ago. I put a Bushnell 3200 Elite scope on it and sighted it in with .300 grain Hornady SST's loaded with 110 grains of 777, FFF.

I had an old high school buddy come over to Alabama from Louisiana last week and we went on a muzzleloader hunt on the Tombigbee River in west central Alabama. I had a great day on the second day of the hunt. At 7:10 a nice mature doe came by between the river and me. It was about 60 yards and made a perfect quartering away shot on the right shoulder exiting the chest, she never took another step. In front of me was a large scrape and numerous rubs. I spent the next several hours watching wood ducks and enjoying the mild 50 degree weather. At 9:50, I heard a rustle in the leaves about 90 yards away and noticed a buck approaching, paralleling the scrapes. He was just cruising by and I quickly decided to take a shot as he was not getting any closer. The shot was about 65 yards and he crumpled at the shot. It was a nice 8 point about 145 pounds. I had killed my Alabama limit of a doe and a buck a day, my first ever, and on public land. I was thrilled with my new Omega and how well it had performed. Hope I can post the pictures!

th_websize2.jpg

Nothing gets you pumped like a double! Congrats and Welcome!

we went on a muzzleloader hunt on the Tombigbee River in west central Alabama.

I know it WELL! I've fished all over the Tombigbee River, hunted some. Where did you hunt? Corp of Engineers land?

Hi Chuck, I hunted between Demopolis and Epes.
I went again the past three days, while the weather was nice. The river was flooding though and I did not hunt the spot I killed those two deer. I thought it may have been less than 40 acres, making it illegal. I did get to see a "first" and that was a doe bleeting, at least 30 times! It was worth the trip just to experience that.

I did, however kill a third deer, a doe, on last week's hunt. I was actually 3 for 3 with my new Omega!

Toolman said:
Hi Chuck, I hunted between Demopolis and Epes.
I went again the past three days, while the weather was nice. The river was flooding though and I did not hunt the spot I killed those two deer. I thought it may have been less than 40 acres, making it illegal. I did get to see a "first" and that was a doe bleeting, at least 30 times! It was worth the trip just to experience that.

I did, however kill a third deer, a doe, on last week's hunt. I was actually 3 for 3 with my new Omega!

That really some beautiful hunting property down there. I've hunted in several different areas from Pickensville/Aliceville area on down to Demopolis. GREAT fishing too! I'm sure the river WAS up! MAN has it rained over the past week! Sounds like you had a GREAT week!

Great talking with you!

Nice combination! I plan on having the same set up. I just bought a Bushnell Elite 3200 and am saving to get a stainless/laminate thumbhole Omega. Great job on the double.
Frank

Latest posts

Back