New Rifle & Turkey Shoot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentucky Colonel

Reaction score
I recently acquired a new (lightly used) .54 calibre rifle from the classifieds here. I used it for the first time today at the monthly muzzleloader match at Central Florida Muzzleloaders

I did participate in the match, but I was just testing the rifle out and dialing it in. I was not competitive. I was off target. But, my shot groups were very nice. Tight. 4 out of 5 shots overlapped each other. The rear sight was adjustable and I worked quickly to bring it to target. I was just getting fairly confident when... 

SURPRISE! UNANNOUNCED CLUB TURKEY SHOOT! 
1st prize a turkey, 2nd prize a bottle of wine- two if you go for the cheap brand. (Both were supplied via a Publix Grocery gift card)

One shot. 25 yards. Shoot what you have standing free hand. Ten minutes allowed. Go!
turkey10.jpg

I won my first Turkey Shoot with a new rifle I got here. (Hey, Al!) The Cabelas Hawken, 1:48 twist, .54 calibre by Investarms... the one without the patch box brass... not the carbine... not the one made by Pendersoli...

cabela10.jpg

I used 405 grain Lead Powerbelt .54 w/90 grains of Hodgdon Triple 777, 3F.

This is the first time I have used Powerbelt products, the 2nd time I have used H 777, and the first time shooting a Cabelas and/or Investarms rifle. I shoot roundball/patch with Holy Black nearly always. Today I was experimenting with a new hunting load/back up rifle for a hunt in December. 

I intend to do a more thorough write up- later- about this rifle and the three other rifles you find when you search for a Cabelas Hawken. But, not today. 

I can tell you that I am very consistent with this set up at 25, 50, and 100 yards. It kicks noticeably. It is not as bad as smokeless firearms, but is the hardest BP kick I have experienced. I am so impressed with it that I will use it for my hunt rather than my Hatfield this December. (I am not feeling the Buck Horn sights this season.) I am also really curious about the stopping power for this set up. Wish me luck!

Now, to bask in the glory of my Turkey Shoot win! I Alvin Yorked 'em! :lol::joker::lol:

PS. Using Powerbelt makes this an expensive day at the range when compared to round balls. These are 24.95/Package of 15 plus shipping. They are hard to find in stores or even on line when compared to round balls. Is it worth it? I am intrigued enough to keep playing with them. I am placing another order today. I want to see what they do on game. I think they will punch hard. They do seem to have an accuracy advantage. We will see.

PPS. One of the boys posted a pic of me getting my prize. As you can tell, I was not enjoying myself. (I am SO shy! :roll: )
:geek:
46733010.jpg

Good deal I have the exact same rifle and mine is very accurate w/patched rb.

I also have the .45 cal carbine in 1:24 twist that shoots conicals awesome.

lol yes, those powerbelts are expensive! Basically, sight it in and leave it alone till hunting season!

I'd really love to see one of those carbines up close, dbowling. The tighter twist interests me, too.

FG, you ain't wrong. I feel a little stupid buying them. But, I am having fun and they are interesting. But, I am gonna shoot them for the December Postal Match. I will be traveling and the Cabelas' .54 is the set up I will have. (I had to cut one rifle to make room) Spartan, Grumpy, and Palehorse have agreed to participate, too. So, if everything shakes out, the four of us will post targets here for the match.

dbowling said:
20181113.jpg
HERE YOU GO.

20181114.jpg

20181115.jpg
Thanks! That is fun. They really are similar- a Mini-me kind of thing.

Wow! I could almost carry that in a hip holster! lol And, it is in .45! I bet it is fun to play with. Be useful for travel or in thick woods. If you find it is cluttering up your safe too much, you can send it to me. I'll give it a good home. :lol:
:joker: :joker: :joker:

Its very accurate with both 350 and 460 gr conicals made by Ed Mehlig over on MM.. killed a big doe with it at about 35 yds with the 350 gr conical, went to shoot her in the white spot on throat and she ducked down when I shot and hit her in the bridge of her nose and never exited, figured it lodged in her neck/spine somewhere never could find it.. but she hit the dirt and kicked once.
 Will keep you in mind if I ever decide to part with it.

Thanks for the conical info and the great story. (I added a couple sentences above while you were posting.)

It would be fun to shoot them side by side.

"Will keep you in mind if I ever decide to part with it." 8) Yeah, cool. I'll wait.  :lol:

I had one the sights were not that great and it kicked like a mule.  It only liked heavy loads and my shoulder looked like somebody whacked it with a tire iron.

Clyde said:
I had one the sights were not that great and it kicked like a mule.  It only liked heavy loads and my shoulder looked like somebody whacked it with a tire iron.
Clyde, which one did you have? I noted above that the rifle had a noticeable kick that surprised me in a muzzleloader. I am glad to hear you confirm it ain't just me.

I had the fast twist 1 in 21 carbine it had if I remember correctly a 20 or 21 inch barrel.  If I remember it liked a 435 gr Great Plains Bullet it had a chrome barrel which aided cleaning but the barrel was rough I thought.  Wish Frontier had his products in 2008.

This .45 doesn't kick much at all even with big conical but I don't shoot a big powder charge since there's no need with a big heavy bullet, my max charge is usually 85 gr of Goex 2 or 3F..
My .54 caliber Cabelas Sporterized Hawken with 90 gr of Goex 2f and a .530 rb is a pussycat to shoot, very mild recoil.. I have not shot any conical from it though.
I have a custom .54 Renegade w/chopped barrel(total gun length is 35 in) done by Bobby Hoyt too shoot big conical bullets w/limb saver recoil pad shooting a No Excuse 535 gr conical w/85 gr of Goex 2f and it just gives a big shove no sharp recoil.. before I put the limb saver pad on it would almost make you cry though shooting same bullet w/steel butt plate.

I use to have two TC Seneca's both .36 caliber that we used for new shooters at my store, they were fun and shot very comfortably.

Latest posts

Back