New scope please help!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which would you choose?

• *Leupold VX III 2.5-8x 36mm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • *Leupold VX III 3.5-10x 40mm

• *Zeiss MC Conquest 3-9x 40mm

• Total voters

encore4me

Reaction score
This scope will not be put on a MZ but will be put on an Encore. I'm wanting a 7mm-08 brl, I will be using this gun for deer from 20-200 yards. This is to be a light-weight HUNTING gun to last a lifetime and have very few problems.

This is alot of money for me! So I want this scope to be the right decision.
If you have any other suggestions please let me know.

Wow Encoreguy, all three are great glass. I guess the decision comes down to the closer shots. Will or could they be in a lower light setting in thick cover? Would you take a shot at a moving deer? If yes, then light transfer and field of view will be more important that magnification! Do you agree? How many true 200 yard shots will you or could you take. If all things are equal I believe you?ll get strong arguments for either manufacture but to me of the three listed the Zeiss wins out. Great eye relief, best combination of the high and low magnification, and I?m a Zeiss guy. :p

I REALLY like all THREE! As a matter of fact those ARE my most used scopes! The 2.5-8X36 VX-III is the more compact/lighweight of the bunch. I have that very scope on my ULA .50 and it has performed perfectly. I have the 3.5-10X40 VX-III on my 10ML-II #IV. Simply perfect performance and it is my favorite scope right now. One thing about the Leupolds...if you ever want a different reticle installed, Premier Reticle or Leupold will put just about whatever you desire in a Leupold scope. I have the Conquest 3-9X40 on my HB #69 right now. I can tell you this is one great scope as well and I am VERY pleased with it. All THREE of these scopes have been on planes and thru airports/etc and all have perfectly maintained their zero requiring no adjustment when I get to my destination. That's saying a LOT!

I WILL say that I generally prefer a 9 or 10X on the high end for range work. I'd probably go for the Conquest 3-9X40 OR VX-III 3.5-10X40 for that reason. I was a hard decision but I voted for the VX-III for really no reason except that's the brand I generally buy!

I picked the Zeiss but as long as it's a VXIII I would probably go either way. The Zeiss will have constant 4" of eye relief and the Leupy will vari. Both are EXCELLENT choices. :wink:

dwhunter said:
The Zeiss will have constant 4" of eye relief
That is one of the reasons I put a Conquest 3-9x40 on my Savage. That constant eye relief comes in real handy when shooting heavier bullets and powder loads! I voted for the Zeiss, but the VX-III's are a super line of scopes also. You won't go wrong with ANY of those choices!

Back