New sidelock on the way!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Just got an email saying that my new rifle has been shipped and should be here either saturday or monday!

I'll be shooting patched round balls as usual in this but MAY try some conicals. I sold off most of my conical molds so right now all I have left is the 370gr Maxiball mold and a handful of round ball molds.

We'll see how she does. It looks like either steel or aluminum sights. Hopefully not the plastic ones or else I am going to have to tap some traditional sights into place in a big hurry.

Traditions Woodsman Hawken .50cal Percussion with 28" barrel and 1:48 twist. If she shoots like my traditions kentucky flinter, I'll be in good hands.
R24008.jpg

LOL that actually cracked me up. I can see how someone could easily take that the wrong way.

Hey, this little 50 can smoke a piggy or 3.

FrontierGander said:
LOL that actually cracked me up. I can see how someone could easily take that the wrong way.

Hey, this little 50 can smoke a piggy or 3.
Smoke on!

I was gonna say Jonathan what's up with the BB gun I thought u was a BIG BORE man. I'm sitting here wondering why at least one of these current importers doesn't offer at least one model in a 58 caliber. About the only way a guy can get 58 anymore is send a barrel out to have it rebored or buy a custom. Al

PS Jonathan never did buy that CVA for 425 its still for sale its 1 in 66 twist to. Al

I was going to send you a picture but I cant figure out the procedure right at the moment. Al

BigAl,

I don't see a CVA listed in the classifieds.  Pretty sure that is some sort of forum violation!  Is it 58 cal?

This one was back ordered for over 2 months and when I called, they said they had percussion models in stock. I figured, ok, thats fine!

They shipped it 3 day fedex and when it arrived..

It was a flintlock!

I wasn't expecting that but its what I originally wanted so why complain? LOL

I cleaned the lock and removed the vasoline stuff on the frizzen spring, relubed with my anti rust lube, insides got a coating of barricade, installed a new french amber flint wrapped in leather.

At first, the frizzen wouldnt completely open. The flint was striking less than half way on the frizzen, so I flipped it and it was almost hitting the top of the frizzen. Gave that a try and she threw a nice shower of sparks into the pan with sat down there sizzling for at least 1/2 a second before going out. I did it about a dozen more times with excellent results.

Overall, I am very happy with the rifle! Bore looks clean and feels super smooth. Some scratches in the rifling but I will take care of that easily. Nice clean trigger, great looking stock.

I'll have more pics and info later when I get to shooting her.
IMG_6702.jpg

IMG_6703.jpg

Snapshot000001.jpg

Snapshot000005_1.jpg

Snapshot000003.jpg

Snapshot000004.jpg

Is this the first Flinchlock for you?

PS sent you an IM on the Lube

BigAl52 said:
Is this the first Flinchlock for you?

PS sent you an IM on the Lube
Nope, I've had about half a dozen over the years. Still have one full time from 2006 that is my first flinter.

That should be fun to shoot!
Are you going to do the Jonathan magic on it - bed the barrel, fine tune the inletting, etc.?

Ron

ohhhh I don't know just yet. I am going to run a dozen shots through the bore with shoot out and then go from there. I really need to find a good hunting loads fast because I'd like to use it on hogs when we head out to oklahoma to hog hunt with Falcon.

Back