New speed loader type

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can the 209 be put in the other way (small end out) for break open guns? As pictured I would have to pick the 209 out of the holder and turn it around before inserting it into the breech plug.
would that expose the business end of the primer to possible moisture contamination ? or are primers weather proof ?

would that expose the business end of the primer to possible moisture contamination ? or are primers weather proof ?
I keep my primers in a rubber strip inside a glass test tube but yeah, you wouldn't want moisture to touch the open end of the primer. The system I have now puts the open end in like the units above. I can hook them directly to the bolt face in my bolt gun but for the break open I have to grab it out of the strip and put it in the other way. Cold hands dropping a primer out of a tree stand is aggravating.

Yeah, doesn’t look to me like it’s designed to carry them business end out. 209s are pretty water resistant but I like to keep mine in a waterproof container to be safe.

You are all correct. The primer holder is meant to be stored with the business end in, and it is for moisture/debris reasons. I went back and forth on this, and I determined that the added protection was more important than the added convenience. But I have also used the TC rubber holders that have the business end out for break action rifles, and they are easy to use for that application, and if that is working well, then why change? The point of this holder is that it completes an all-in-one system in terms of storing all the main components to reload in one place, and that is something that many customers stated that they wanted.

Latest posts

Back